We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go?

I am not sure if I am in the right forum. We are planning a road trip from NYC on July 5th. We had thought of driving to DC then onto Roanoke as a stop over to arrive in Pigeon forge for a few nights. The problem we now have is that we had originally planned to head to myrtle beach from pigeon forge for some beach relaxation but we are feeling it's a big drive to it and then from there back to NYC. Is myrtle beach worth seeing. Is there anywhere further up the coast that is nice for beach chilling out. We have been to Virginia beach but found it a bit tacky and we have stayed quite a few times in Williamsburg but we feel it might be too quiet as we have 5 older teenagers and 3 in their early twenties with us. (2 families) we like to stay in condos. It doesn't have to be at the beach if we were in a resort that had pools, tennis courts etc that would suit us as we'll. please help as we leave for NYC in a few weeks and that is the only thing we ave sorted. We have considered driving to Chicago and onto Wisconsin Dells but don't know a lot about that area. Thanks

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
713 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

Maybe North towards Boston and Cape Cod instead? Ocean City, Maryland is closer to DC as well.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

Forget Ronoke to Pigeon Forge. The teens won't like that. Go for North Carolina Outer Banks or Ocean City, MD beach.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Have you looked into Hilton Head? I found Myrtle Beach to be VERY tacky, kind of like Niagara Falls but with a beach instead.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

We have been several times to Boston & cape Cod when the children were smaller and loved it but we feel it would be too quiet as was the year we went to hilton Head. I must take a look at the outer banks but would be afraid of it bring like hilton head. What is ocean city like?

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

Too bad about the Jersey Shore! That was the perfect teen summer place. So sad to see it go. It'll be back, but I guess not this summer.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 06:33
Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

Outer Banks is not at all like Hilton Head. Something for everyone there to do in Nags Head to Kitty Hawk area. No high rises, more of a beach town feel. They have parasailing, wind surfing, 4-wheel drives on the upper dunes to the wild pony area, dolphin watch tours, charter fishing boats, just lots of activities. Ocean City is a city and has high rises on the beach. Lots to do for teenagers, some might say too much..... Myrtle Beach is very tacky in my book. Hilton Head is staid, boring.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go?

The Outer Banks has a lot to offer for water sports enthusiasts (windsurfing, kiteboarding, kayaking, etc). Also has great fishing and hang gliding. It covers a pretty large area north to south, with some areas being more isolated than others (toward the southern tip). It's not as developed as Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach, but it has more activities than the parts of Cape Cod above Chatham.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 19:19
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go?

Hi,

One thing that's unclear is how long you have for this road trip. If you leave NYC on 5th July, when do you have to be back? That may limit (or expand) your options.

Zed

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go?

Hi Zed

We fly back to Ireland on the 20th July so we would like to be back in NYC by the 19th.

Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,933 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go?

The Outer Banks has a wide choice of rental vacation homes that will accommodation your entire party under one roof. Most require a minimum stay of one week.

Because the Outer Banks has several communities, with varying atmospheres, you should research which area would appeal to your group the most.