We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

My 29 year old daughter lives in NYC and has a driver's license but no auto insurance since she does not drive. She is being asked by work to rent a car for 6 weeks in upstate New York but the car insurance companies won't rent her a car without insurance even if she were to buy it from them. What alternative does she have? I am going to talk to my insurance company but she is not a dependent so adding her on may not be easy.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

The company she works for should pay the daily insurance rate. Very few New Yorkers have cars - part of their cost of doing business.

American Express has an insurance plan that's very cheap but I dont know how it dovetails with your own policy.

You can only be insured to drive a car on which you carry title (or your parent carries, if you live at home).

Call other car rental agencies.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

How does the car rental company even know she doesn't own a car or have insurance? That shouldn't be a consideration. It's not her responsibility to insure the vehicle, it's her company's responsibility and it should simply pay for the coverages available through the car rental company.

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

The company considers her a private contractor and responsible for her own car. She was told by the rental agency she needs proof of insurance even if she buys theirs..

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

The company considers her a private contractor and responsible for her own car. She was told by the rental agency she needs proof of insurance even if she buys theirs..

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

Edited: 27 May 2013, 04:33
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

Has she (or you) checked all the major car rental companies? This seems rather odd that they refuse to rent to her simply because she does not own a car. Some people's own car insurance policy will cover rentals, but since she doesn't have that, I don't understand why she simply can't buy the car rental company's coverage? When you rent a car, you pay extra for their full insurance - usually something around $10 per day.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

I hope she is getting per diem to cover her costs.

$10 a day is on the low side for comprehensive insurance.

Has she tried Costco? Or a long term rental through a local Enterprise office?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

I've rented hundreds and hundreds of cars in my business and personal travel over the years. Not one time has a rental car agency asked about my own insurance or whether or not I owned a vehicle. The other suggestion I would make is to split the rental into two. A six week rental will raise red flags. Do a pair of three-week rentals, for example.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

Make sure she keeps up on her expense reports or this could get expensive very fast.

Missouri
Level Contributor
214 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insurance for car rental if you don't own a car

Collision insurance is no problem; it is the liability insurance that she is having trouble with.