We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Hello,

We are planning a road trip from Phoenix to Grand Canyon to Las Vegas. We will start early morning from Phoenix and want to be back in Las Vegas by 10 PM.

Please share your experiences and tips on the feasibility of this trip.

Also, please suggest any places to visit in between.

Thanks

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Hi,

I'm glad that you recognize that this will be a VERY long day of touring giving you very little time to see things along the way.

It's about 500 miles and that will take around 8 hours of driving according to Google Maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/osgpJ

But Google Maps uses the speed limits along the route to calculate driving times, and does NOT account for stops for food, fuel, rest breaks, or sightseeing, nor does it factor in delays for traffic, construction, or weather.

So if you:

Spend an hour for fuel and rest breaks, you're up to 9 hours.

Spend two hours in Sedona, you're up to 11 hours.

Spend four hours at the Grand Canyon, you're up to 15 hours.

Opt to drive old US Route 66 between Seligman and Kingman, you're up to 16 hours.

Spend an hour for an evening meal, you're up to 17 hours.

If you can break this trip into two days, that would make for a better--albeit, still rushed--experience.

Zed

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Thanks Zed for a detailed breakdown of hours needed for this trip.

I totally understand that it would be hard. Do you know how is the road from GC to Las Vegas especially driving at night.

Thanks

Archna

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Sorry, I've only driven in daylight hours. I suspect the trip from the Grand Canyon back to I-40 will be made while there's still some light. Once on I-40, it will be like driving on any other rural interstate in the dark.

US 93 between Kingman and Las Vegas is a four lane divided highway (but with cross traffic off of side roads) that runs through the desert, so you won't have any city lights or street lights along the route.

Zed

southampton u.k
Level Contributor
156 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

My wife and I are flying from London to Pheonix via Chicago and then stopping the night in Sedona on our way to the GC. We are then going up to Paige the next day ( via Winslow Arizona, just to stand on the corner) for rafting the following morning. Then it's Paige to Vegas in an afternoon. That sounds far enough to me over three days so good luck doing it in a day.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Thanks for the informational Rob and Zed.

After your inputs, I am thinking of below schedule:

Phoenix to GC (starts around 10 AM because we only arrive in Phoenix at 9 AM) with stop over at Sedone (couple of hours) and then do night stay at Williams (can not get accomodation in GC). Go back to GC in the morning to see the sun rise and back to Las Vegas around mid-day.

Does this sounds doable? And are there other tourist destinations we can see on the way?

Thanks a lot guys

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Like Zed said, you will probably not have much time to visit.

There's really not much from GC to Vegas in the evening.

The best way to enjoy it is to go directly from Phoenix to GC.

Take your time there until 4:30 to 5:00 P.M. before heading straight to Vegas.

Driving in the summer between GC and Vegas is not a problem.

You will see a lot of tour bus heading back to Vegas (the tour is 15-hr long.)

Your actual driving time should be some 45 minutes less than such a tour, at least.

You can opt to visit Sedona on the way from Phoenix to GC.

It's totally doable.

You just don't have a lot of time to explore and linger.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

If you can break it up over two days like this, it will be more enjoyable.

You may want to head to the AZ forum to ask for extra activities along the way to Williams.

Personally, I think Lake Pleasant is underrated on a weekday.

I haven't been back there for a while, so I can't really say.

On top of that, you're from Chicago, you may not care much for a lake, haha.

I'm not a local and I've only done that stretch only a couple of times; it's better to ask in the AZ forum.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Thanks John,

Did you do the trip in one day? Ya i am from Chicago so I have seen more than enough lakes. :-)

Cheers,

Archna

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

Keep calling for cancellations for staying inside GCNP 888 297 2757 Or try a hotel in Tusayan www.tusayanhotels.com

Between GC and Las Vegas stop at Seligman for R66 and drive between Seligman and Kingman via R66 with a stop at Hackberry. Before Las Vegas you'll find Hoover Dam.

Tet

10. Re: Phoenix- GC South Rim and National Park- Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:18