We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

I have 12 - 14 days, elderly parents. I would like to visit few national parks. No hiking, mostly whatever accessible via car or short treks.

Fly into LV. Stay overnight.

Day 1 - visit hoover dam, Grand canyon, watch sunset, stay overnight.

Day 2 - Zion, Bryce and maybe Capitol reef NPs.

Day 3 - Arches and Canyon lands NPs

Day 4 - Salt lake city

Day 5 - Grand Teton and Yellow Stone NPs

Day 6 - San Francisco

Day 7 - Yosemite and Sequoia NPs

Day 8 - LA

Day 9 - Yucca valley, Mohave

Day 10 - Death Valley, return to LV

Day 11, 12 - reserve days.

Please provide any suggestions, ideas etc.

Thank you, R

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

Have you checked Google or Mapquest? You trip is totally impossible.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

Thank you.

I did check google map and roadtrippers.com. It is definitely alot of driving. I suppose I could drop Capitol Reef, Arches (I have been to this park), Canyonlands and few others if need be.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,910 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

>>I have 12 - 14 days, elderly parents. I would like to visit few national parks.<<

Then you need to choose just a few locations and limited driving.

If you are looking for scenic views from the car and natural beauty, this itinerary might work.

LAS - Las Vegas (1 night) - {drive thru visit of Death Valley NP, very short walks} Lone Pine (1 night) - Yosemite Valley or nearby (2 nights) - San Francisco (2-3 nights) - Monterey (1-2 nights) - {scenic drive on Hwy 1 thru Big Sur} Cambria (1 n) - Los Angeles (2-3 nights) - Las Vegas (1 n) - LAS

If you'd prefer to enjoy the southwest, you could do a loop of Las Vegas - South Rim Grand Canyon NP - maybe Monument Valley - Page - Bryce Canyon - Zion - Las Vegas

Some destinations on your wish list could easily fill three full days (Yellowstone, Yosemite, San Francisco, Los Angeles) and some *might* be okay with one or two full days (Arches, Zion, Death Valley). But of course you could spend longer at any destination to get more out of your visit.

With elderly parents, I think shorter drives and restful days makes more sense. Your original itinerary didn't offer either.

-------------

Adding ..

look at Day 7 - Yosemite and Sequoia NPs

Yosemite is 4 hrs from SF. Sequoia NP is 4 hrs from Yosemite. Yosemite needs 3 days. Sequoia needs 2 days. But you have allowed about 20 minutes for each National Park. It just won't work.

Day 5 .. drive from Salt Lake City AND enjoy two huge National Parks? And the next day you drive 1,000 miles AND enjoy the city of San Francisco?

Edited: 30 May 2013, 21:53
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

Yellowstone will be more out of your way and you'll need several days to explore even without hiking. Yellowstone to San Francisco easily takes 16 hours. We never managed to drive a distance like that in one day.

You also can't see Yosemite and Seki in one day and you also need more time for Zion and Bryce. GC to Bryce already is a 6 hours drive. If you want to take a route like this and add Yellowstone NP I'd skip Capitol Reef NP and Arches (also requires several days with the many attractions around Moab). From Yellowstone drive to Yosemite first and skip Seki. From Yosemite to San Francisco and down the coast to LA (2 days) To Death Valley from there (6 hours but not via Yucca Valley) and to Las Vegas after a stay in DV. I still don't see how you can do all of this in your timeframe and enjoy places on your way.

You didnot say what time of year you are coming. You definitely need your reservations for this trip esp in high season.

Tet

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

Thank your for your response and for your time. I either have to choose California loop or South West loop. I did not realize how much driving I would be doing, until read your posts.

Especially after you explained it this way, it sounds ridiculous.

"look at Day 7 - Yosemite and Sequoia NPs

Yosemite is 4 hrs from SF. Sequoia NP is 4 hrs from Yosemite. Yosemite needs 3 days. Sequoia needs 2 days. But you have allowed about 20 minutes for each National Park. It just won't work.

Day 5 .. drive from Salt Lake City AND enjoy two huge National Parks? And the next day you drive 1,000 miles AND enjoy the city of San Francisco?"

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

Thank you Tet.

I would like to visit in the 2nd or 3rd week of July. I have not booked flights or hotels yet. I am still exploring my itinerary. I think I tried to cram as much as possible, but now I realized that means not an enjoyable experience and too much driving around.

If I leave Yellow stone, Grand Teton, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonland, I am wondering if this itinerary is possible.

Day 1 - Las Vegas - (Overnight stay)

Day 2 - Hoover dam tour, Grand Canyon ((Overnight stay)

Day 3 - Zion (Overnight Stay)

Day 4 - Bryce (Overnight Stay in Las Vegas)

Day 5 - Death Valley (if it too hot in July, might replace it with Sequoia)

Day 6,7 - Yosemite

Day 8,9 - San Fran

Day 10,11 - LA

Day 12 - Las Vegas

Thank you.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

I'd do Bryce before Zion

1. Arr Las Vegas. Stay Vegas

2. Las Vegas-Grand Canyon

3. Grand Canyon-Bryce

4. Bryce-Zion

5. Zion-Death Valley (yes, very hot)

6. DVNP-Mammoth Lakes

7. Mammoth Lakes-Yosemite

8. Yosemite

9. Yosemite-San Francisco

10. SF

11. SF-Cambria

12. Cambria-Las Vegas.

That also leaves LA out. Zion should not be missed for an overnight stay imo. Zion to DVNP is a 5 hours drive and if you want to see some of DV that day and next day I suggest not to drive from DV to Yosemite directly. Also lots of places to see along us395 (you even can visit Bodie Ghosttown with a detour from Lee Vining on the way to Yosemite.

Tet

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

Adding to Tet input, if you could fly in at LAS and fly out from SFO, you would save a day of driving (and gas) and allow more breathing time in your schedule :)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

rc r,

I want to compliment you on your willingness to listen. Most people who post difficult/aggressive drives like your original plan are less open to adjusting their dream (nightmare) trip.

I think you'll all enjoy your new trip more, whatever you decide.

If you want to go to Yellowstone and the Tetons, start planning now for 2014. Reservations can always be cancelled if it doesn't work out. Fly to salt Lake or Bozeman instead of California.

10. Re: LV - Yellow Stone - San Fran - LA - LV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 06:16