We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Suggestions ..?

Romania
5 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip Suggestions ..?

Hello.

I'm going to be at Lake Tahoe this summer, but in October me and 2 of my friends would like to do a road trip.

The route would be something like this:

Lake Tahoe - Yosemite - Death Valley - Rachel - Las Vegas - Laughlin(visiting some friends) - Hoover Dam- Skywalk Center - South Rim - Antelope Canyon - Horseshoe Bend - Monument Valley - and back to Vegas.

What would you suggest on this trip? How long on each location and what is worth to see on these places? Good to mention that 2 of us are very interested in photography.

Any advice are welcomed. Also if there is some good checkpoint for gas, we are doing this trip with a car.

Thank you !

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Suggestions ..?

How long do you have to do this?

Definitely skip the Skywalk.

Rachel is out of the way and not really worth your time. But I know people sometimes really want to see the "ET" thing that's so hyped up.

Romania
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Suggestions ..?

I'm thinking about skipping them. In the last days I didn't heard any recommendation about them. It depends on us, but not more than 2 weeks.

California
Level Contributor
173 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip Suggestions ..?

You may want to check if the Tioga Pass will still be open. It will make the drive from Yosemite to Death Valley easier.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip Suggestions ..?

1. Lake Tahoe to Yosemite

2. Yosemite

3. Yosemite to Mammoth Lakes/Bishop

4. Bishop-Death Valley NP

5. DVNP-Laughlin

6. Lauglin via R66 to GCNP

7. GCNP

8 . GCNP-Monument Valley

9. Monument Valley-Page

10. Page

11. Page-Bryce

12. Bryce-Zion

13. Zion-Las Vegas via Valley of Fire.

14. Las Vegas.

Tioga Pass can be temporarily closed later in october. Maybe only stay one night at GCNP and 2 nights in Zion but that's up to you. We also easily could stay longer in Death Valley NP in october. Just saying...

Tet

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip Suggestions ..?

Hi Ludovic

I like Tet's route. I agree with skipping the Skywalk - it's expensive and the real deal at South Rim is so much better. Also Rachel isn't worth the detour, in my view.

As you will be visiting several national parks, please may I suggest you buy the $80 pass at the first park, it will be valid for all the other national parks for all travellers in the car.

For gas prices, have a look at this link:

http://gasbuddy.com/

Have a great trip,

SWT

Edited: 04 June 2013, 12:14
Romania
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip Suggestions ..?

Thanks for all the infos ! :)

7. Re: Road Trip Suggestions ..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:17