We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Bricktown, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Hi everyone-

My husband and I are planning a road trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. We will be leaving New Jersey after work on 8/29 and plan to return 9/8. We were in Maine in 2011 for our honeymoon in the Lakes and Mountain Region and traveled around the coast a little but the state is so big we knew we would need to return. We will be returning to go to Acadia for certain. We are interested in hiking, fishing, covered bridges and breweries (and suggestions for must have grub and places to lay our heads are always appreciated). We will not be booking hotels in advance so that we are not held to schedule in case we want to stay in one area longer. We are thinking of bringing some camping equipment as a back up plan.

So I'm hoping for suggestions on which state to start with first, places to hike, fishing spots, best route to take, and as as far as covered bridges go-I'd like to see some of the railroad ones this time if near by.

Thank you all in advance for your help in planning our trip. This is part of my goal to visit all 50 states with my husband.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,039 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

White Mts., Kancamagus Hwy, Jackson, Franconia Notch in NH and drive down the coast of Maine to include Bar Harbor, Camden, Rockland, Portland, Kennebunkport and Ogunquit. We did a trip during fall leaf season in early October. Had a great visit.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

PeachBelle hit all the places I would have suggested. I do, however, recommend that you make reservations for lodging on Labor Day weekend at the very least.

Zed

Bricktown, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Thanks for your recommendations. Any for Vermont? Seems to be the state I find the least ideas for.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,039 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

We went over and spent the day in St. Johnsburry, VT. Toured the area and went to the maple syrup store and Maple Grove Farms.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 23:52
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,860 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

In Vermont, the St. Johnsbury area is beautiful - we rented a cabin at Symes Pond nearby and loved the fishing, the canoe ride out to a huge beaver dam and the sounds of the loons and the overall solitude. For hiking, the Long Trail and Mount Mansfield are great options. Woodstock is a pretty town with an upscale vibe on the eastern side of Vermont. Quechee Gorge is nearby - its pretty but can't compare to our gorges here in the Finger Lakes. The area around Middlebury is very scenic and Route 100 is a pretty drive. Brattleboro is an offbeat and interesting town just over the NH border in SE Vermont. I personally prefer Vermont to NH but Portsmouth and the White Mountains are great destinations.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Your trip includes Labor Day weekend. Unless you want to get stuck in uninteresting highway motels in uninteresting areas, I'd recommend booking something in advance. You may find that many places have minimum stay requirements, and that campgrounds may fill up.

Ellicott City...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Hi, Sorry to bother you, but I notice you stayed at Symes Pond. I have one of those cabins reserved for a week in september and I just read a scathing review of them on Yelp. Since we'll be driving up from Maryland I'm a little nervous! Was your experience there okay? Maybe the complaint was just a one-time thing...

westlake village
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

your trip sounds fantastic and we would like to duplicate. How much time did you spend?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

Hi ramonarowan. This is an old topic from 2013, the OP will have completed their trip long ago. If you wish help and input for your own trip, please may I suggest you start your own topic, the more you tell us, the more we can offer suggestions to tailor it for your needs and travel style. To start a new topic, just scroll down the page until you reach the orange 'ask a question' button. Click, fill in a suitable title, tell us as much as you can in the dialogue box, and voila!

SWT

10. Re: Road Trip to Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:15