We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego -> Chicago Roadtrip

San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
San Diego -> Chicago Roadtrip

Hi all,

I'll be moving out to Chicago and plan on driving out this Friday. I need to make it there by Monday (preferably Sunday evening though), giving me about 3 full days of driving to make it there. Obviously this doesn't give me a whole lot of time to dilly-dally and see the ideal spots, but any recommended places that can get me there in the allotted time would be great! I'm basically going to follow the Google maps suggestion of the 15 -> 70 -> 80 through NV, AZ, CO, NE, IA, and finally IL. Any recommendations are highly appreciated! Thanks!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego -> Chicago Roadtrip

Hi studiored,

Welcome to the Road Trips Forum.

Given the short time frame you have to make the trip, the Google Maps route will probably be your best bet.

It says that it will take 30 hours, but remember that Google Maps uses speed limits along the route to calculate driving times. It does not account for stops for food, fuel, rest breaks, or sightseeing, nor does it account for traffic, construction, or weather delays. Realistically, you'll have closer to 40 hours of driving, making for some long driving days.

I haven't been following them that closely, but you may want to check where those large forest fires are in Colorado to see if they'll impact your drive in any way. (I know one was in the Colorado Springs area, away from your route.)

If there's a risk of impact, you may want to head across I-40 and then to Chicago out of Oklahoma City.

Safe travels,

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego -> Chicago Roadtrip

Will you be driving a car or a van?

Is it going to be packed with stuffs?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego -> Chicago Roadtrip

In 3 days????

San Diego-Moab (short detour but fantastic location near Arches, hope you start from SD very early in the morning)

2. Moab-Lincoln NE. (128 from Moab to I70 very scenic) The whole of I70 between Salina and dDnver is scenic as well. No pumps for 110 miles between Salina and Green River Ut.

3. Lincoln-Chicago.

Just see how far you can get each day. Plenty of places to stay along the interstates.

4. Re: San Diego -> Chicago Roadtrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 05:17