We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York to San Diego

3 posts
Save Topic
New York to San Diego

My wife and I are moving from Albany, Ny to San Diego, Ca. We are driving and plan to leave the day after Christmas. I have the first part of the trip planned. I'm looking for some advice on the second half of the trip, from Midland,Tx to San Diego. We definitely want to hit the Grand Canyon and possibly Las Vegas. I'm looking to find the most scenic route with cool stuff to stop and see. Basically looking for the classic road trip experience. I was thinking of stopping in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Any advice would be awesome.

3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York to San Diego

We don't have a strict time frame, maybe 4-5 days from TX to San Diego. It looks like it could be kinda cold that time of year so most likely motels over camping.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York to San Diego

Hi,

Welcome to the Road Trips Forum, and welcome to San Diego!

The biggest concern of traveling that time of year will be the weather. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and even the south rim of the Grand Canyon are all above 6,000' in elevation, so there's a greater likelihood of snow.

I suspect that even though it's winter, some of the more popular destinations will be booked around the Christmas and New Year's holidays, so reservations are still in order. (But I would make sure you can cancel them without penalty in case the weather throws you a curveball.)

As far as the route, you could do something like this:

http://goo.gl/maps/06i9M

Day 1 - Midland to Santa Fe, perhaps with a detour to Carlsbad Caverns (although that would make for a very long travel day)

Day 2 - Santa Fe to Monument Valley (I have to admit that I haven't driven US 550 from Albuquerque to Farmington, so I'm not sure how it would be in the winter).

Day 3 - Monument Valley to Grand Canyon

Day 4 - Grand Canyon to Las Vegas

Day 5 - Las Vegas to San Diego

I typically will load the DOT Road Conditions hotline numbers and / or bookmark the website for each state into my smart phone when traveling in the winter, and they have come in handy.

Safe travels.

Zed

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York to San Diego

Are you going through Amarillo or Dallas/Fort Worth?

If you do Amarillo, you can visit Palo Duro Canyon.

Then you have the option to visit Carlsbad after Midland.

Or if you don't have to go through Midland, you can steer West to Roswell and Ruidoso instead.

If it's too harsh to go to Grand Canyon, you can head South to the Organ Pipe Cactus NM instead and arrive into SD via I-8.

You can always do Vegas later.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York to San Diego

Driving via Midland and also visit Santa Fe and Grand Canyon will be a long detour. If weather is good just take I40. U550 mentioned by Zed is a good road, 4 lanes, but do you want to visit Monument Valley also? I40 has a lot of places for R66.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York to San Diego

If Midland is a given... West to Carlsbad Via Pecos & the 285 North to Malaga in NM. The 720 cutoff, will take you directly to the Park... Tour the Caverns in the PM and continue to a overnight in El Paso... Continue on the I-10 to Tucson... Here decide, IF, Road conditions and the forecast weather allow that "Hail Mary" to Higher elevations... Should you stay in Tucson... Select accommodation & overnight accommodation with care... as you May well have things of personal value in the car...Should the weather be problematic and reservations at The South Rim be unavailable...I suggest you turn on the I-8 & save the Canyon & Vegas for long weekends from San Diego ... happy trails ... carracar

Edited: 13 June 2013, 14:25
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York to San Diego

Carracar. Did you know 720 is not signposted from 285? They obviously don't want people to take the shortcut to the Caverns and miss Carlsbad! It's called Black River Village rd.

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New York to San Diego

Thank you all. Great advice. Anyone been to tombstone,az? Thinkin about a more southern route due to the season. Maybe midland to carlsbad to tombstone to grand canyon to vegas to san diego?

Edited: 13 June 2013, 18:18
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,374 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York to San Diego

Thanksgiving Day this past fall... The wife & I drove the Highway 9 into New Mexico, from just north of EL Paso-Sunland Park... Just us, and low seniority Boarder Patrol officers on the road,all the way to Columbus & Pancho Villa State Park... Next day, we continued, (crossing the Continental Divide five times) to the highway 80 into Bisbee (one of our favorite places) & again went into camp... Tombstone, Is just down the road & good for a lunch stop...Then into Tucson... carracar

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York to San Diego

If you drive via El Paso you can take nm9 as described right along the border but that won't be faster than going via I10 (also a border patrol check point west of Las Cruces) If you drive via Carlsbad and there's no snow near Cloudcroft (9000') you can take that road (va Artesia) and visit White Sands NM. Continue to Las Cruces and west on I10 till the exit to 80 to Bisbee. Along 80 you'll find Geronimo's statue. From Bisbee to Tombstone'the ''Town too tough to die'' Do't miss Bird Cage theater and Boot Hill cemetary.

Tet

10. Re: New York to San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:17