We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

1 post
Save Topic
Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone has done a trip from Melbourne to Perth by going through great ocean road and Esperance and Albany.

Is 11 days long enough? Also what would be the best places to stop?

Thanks

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

Hi and welcome to the forum

Yes we have done that both ways and there only actually is one road between Pt Augusta and Esperance. You'll be driving Nullarbor Plain www.nullarbornet.com.au It's a 4000 kms trip and 11 days will be tight. It depends on how long you want to stay at places. It already took us 4 days enjoying GOR to Adelaide and we spent 4 days in Esperance and 3 days in Albany. But if you ask me, can it be done, yes it can but not much time for exploring. What time of year are you coming? Always carry a lot of water in the car. Between Pt Augusta and Norseman you'll find app 10 roadhouses where you can stay.

Tet

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

Eck. We too were thinking of driving this same route. Sounds like it might be wise to travel a loop around Southwest Australia and then fly to Melbourne for another loop of the Southeast- avoiding the time bite of 11 days or so. Our time is limited. I know it's hard to say but we will be experiencing the Tom Price area, coast from Perth to Exmouth, Tasmania, etc. Your thought?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

Tom Price and Karijini NP are far away from Perth and really not in the SW of Western Australia. We have been to SW WA several times and a loop in that area easily already took 2 weeks and 3 weeks to the north if you want to incorparate Karijini NP also. With limited time I'd fly between Perth and Adelaide or Melbourne. You can rent a car from Adelaide and drive to Melbourne via GOR. For Tasmania. We already spent 2 weeke there and that was not too long. You can fly Melbourne-Hobart and rent a car again. You also can take a ferry but you can't bring a rental car then afaik. How long do you have for your trip and what time of year?

Tet

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,442 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

To both kmc and Skipatroller

Tet's provided some great general information about your trip thoughts. However, for more detailed information, and advice from locals who can offer you a ton of info on your route, possible better alternatives to suit your timescales and other options, please may I suggest you post on one of the many Australia forums where the locals and DEs will be able to help with more detail.

Here's a link to the Western Australia forum. From there you can post a new topic, or ask on a different, more specific forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g255101-i530-Weste…

As a general point, I think both of you have underestimated the amount of time needed to cover extensive drives in Australia. From my own experience, there can be long, fast stretches of road, but places with lots of charm that merit time to explore.

SWT

Edited to add the link, which I forgot to add first time round -duh!

Edited: 22 June 2013, 12:50
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

Well, that can be a problem. Not that may posts on the Australia forums for cross country trips

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

The Melbourne to Perth road trip is a fairly common challenge and eleven days is plenty of time; any suggestion otherwise is nonsense, it just depends upon how far you are willing and able to drive each day and how much you want to see along the way. All up the trip vi GOR and Esperance is anything from 3800 kms and will take around 41 hours of driving. Add an extra hour or two if you prefer Esperance to Perth via Albany and further three hours or so if you want to go via more scenic coastal route from Albany to Perth via Busselton (4300 kms and 47 hours). A couple of factors to consider that will determine the hours available each day:

- Driving west you will have longer days however driving into the setting sun is unpleasant so assume stop by 4PM when heading into sun

- Critters are out and about until an hour after sunrise and from an hour before sunset.

- Avoid driving at night

So on any given day you will have about nine comfortable driving hours, which would be good for 700 km including rest breaks and depending upon roads. So eleven days gives you around 100 hours and you need roughly half of those on the road. Hope this helps.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

This is an old thread and the OP never came back to us.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
664 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

In my opinion 11days you wouldn't see a lot,just road.I would allow 4 days for Melbourne to Perth,unless your a interstate truck driver. Lots to see,little country towns ,national parks ,tourist traps.the nallabor highway is a good experience .the nothingness but not a lot to see.you might be better to do a loop around Vic & wa and fligh between

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

For others who might be interested in this road trip - the "nothingness" of the nullabor is part of the reason you would do this trip - through the wide brown land. I did this trip years ago and still have wonderful memories of it.

Problem with directing posters to the Vic or wa forums is that they will get negative feedback - like FLY. The good thing about this forum is that people here understand road trips! : )

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne to Perth - scenic route

Heasr Hear Aussieastrogirl!