We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

Hi All of you very helpful people,

Is it possible to leave early morning from LA make a stop at Joshua Tree and continue on to South Rim Grand Canyon in one day?

There will be 4 of us sharing the driving.

How long will we be in the car?

Thanks

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,861 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

Well, it's do-able but you will be in the car a long time. It does depend on where you're coming from in the LA area. But Joshua Tree will add an hour or more to your drive time, plus the time you spend in the park. It is possible to do a short drive through Joshua Tree and absorb the scene. A short hike would be even better.

Routing via Joshua Tree will give you somewhere between 8-10 hours of actual drive time, again depending on your starting point. I would say that it's a worthwhile detour. Get a very early start and you should be fine.

Have fun.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,816 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

Go for it. I used to love going to Joshua Tree when I lived in LA.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

What T&C said. What time of year are you coming. Nicest thing about Joshua tree is to walk around a bit among the rocks but in summer it will be far too hot for that with 110F And on the way to GC you can drive long parts of R66 but that won't be doable if you want to make this a daydrive. Why not spend the night in a place like Kingman before and see more things on your way? Esp the part of R66 between Topock and Kingman via Oatman is a special one. Actually we never did this drive in one day and always stayed overnight.

Tet

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

Hi,

I encourage you to visit as well, but if you entered the park from the south and drove all the way to the northern exit, that would add 2-3 hours to your trip.

If you entered at the town of Joshua Tree and drove the loop road, with a detour to Keys View with its amazing overlook of the Coachella Valley and the San Andreas Fault, and exited near Twentynine Palms, that would give you a good taste of the park and take a little less time.

http://goo.gl/maps/xIjks

Once out of Twentynine Palms, head north to the tiny bump in the road called Amboy with its "Roy's Motel & Café" on the old US Route 66. You can stay on the old Route 66 to Essex and then onto I-40 east.

Finally, you will be driving through some remote desert areas where cell phone service may be spotty. Make sure you bring with you a plenty of water for each person (a liter or two each; more if you're going to be out hiking a little during your stops), especially if it's in the summer as Tet said.

Zed

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

If it the JT detour, means "shorting" time spent at Grand Canyon... No...The most direct, route is a full days drive for most pilgrims...As is, you need to get four people out of bed,showered & fed before daylight...This, to avoid the morning freeway traffic to escape the LA Basin... As you will see much the same land forms along the I-40 After driving across the Mojave ... you should be ready for a change of pace... by driving the slower "old Rt. 66" Kingman-Seligman... Plan to arrive at the South Rim for sunset and Lodging in or near the Park... carracar

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

Thank you all so much for your very informative reply's. You guys are awesome!

I am in the very early stage of planning a month long driving holiday mid April - mid May 2014 so you might hear from me again soon.

You have convinced my travelling companions and I that we need to take a little more time.

We will spend a few hours in Joshua Tree National Park, stop for a night along the way and take it a bit slower along R66.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

April is a great time for Joshua Tree NP. Go for it! Maybe spend the night in Twentynine Palms with oits great murals but not many things more there. Before Joshua Tree maybe take the aerial tramway from Palm Springs and on the way to Joshua Tree NP (via its west entrance) you'll find a movie set in Pioneertown some 5 miles from Yucca Valley. Fill your tank in 29Palms, no pumps till Needles except for a very expensive one at Roy's Cafe.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

So as suggested our plan atm is......enter at Joshua Tree town do the Loop Rd, Keys View etc and exit at Twentynine Palms and then get on to Route 66.

Can anyone suggest a good stopover town? We would love to stay the night at an "old time" but clean and comfortable motel and eat at a good old fashioned diner. Is this possible or am I being too nostalgic?

Next morning we will hit the road and head towards the Grand Canyon.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

There's nothing between 29Palms and Needles but you may check out Nipton hotel in Nipton along the tracks of Union Pacific. It's not for everybody in the middle of nowhere but it sure is a genuine desert experience. Other places before GC can be Laughlin or Kingman. I prefer Laughlin or Kingman to Needles. Fill up in Az again. Much cheaper than Ca and esp Needles has expensive fuel. A nostalgic place in Kingman for food is Mr. D';z along R66 (Andy Devine in Kingman)

10. Re: LA to Grand Canyon via Joshua Tree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:17