We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

la to grand canyon and beyond

goldcoast
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
la to grand canyon and beyond

hi,

I am looking for some help for dates 30th Nov-3rd Dec.

To finalise our first part of our road trip.

we are flying in to la early on 27th Nov.

So have decided to get our bearings/pick up car and leave la by lunch to travel towards grand canyon.

We will stay along this route for first night stopping when had enough for day.

28th Nov

Well rested head to grand canyon arriving by afternoon.

After sightseeing route 66 on way and other things that interest us.

29th Nov

Full day grand canyon

30th Nov

checkout and head towards Vegas.

Check in 3rd of Nov vegas

This is when we are not sure if we will have enough time to still visit Bryce canyon-Zion-Death valley.

I'm sure we could rush threw, although my concern is should we allow a free day in case of bad weather.

thanks in advance for any help.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,780 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

Your itinerary and dates are not really clear. So, if you are staying in Vegas the night of the 30th of November, when would you plan to leave Vegas and do you need to be back in LA on 3 December? Assuming that you want to spend a day or two in Vegas, you don't have time to really add much other than a drive-through of Death Valley. If these dates are correct, you would not have sufficient time to drive up to Zion/Bryce.

Maybe give a more succinct outline of your dates.

Have fun.

goldcoast
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

sorry about that

we are leaving la on 27th Nov and need to be in LV by the afternoon of 3rd of December.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,772 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

Thursday, November 28th is Thanksgiving. This may create problems for your itinerary. Did you get lodging reservations? Will you be prepared to be on the road on Wednesday with lots of other folks heading out for the holiday weekend?

Is this your plan?

Wed Nov 27 ~ arrive LAX (from where?) and leave by noon. Stop on the way to GCNP, maybe Kingman AZ

Thur Nov 28, Thanksgiving ~ arrive South Rim GCNP, stay GCNP

Fri Nov 29 ~ GCNP

Sat Nov 30 ~ drive 300 miles to Bryce Canyon NP

Sun Dec 1 ~ drive 100 miles to Zion NP

Mon Dec 2 ~ drive 300 miles to Death Valley NP

Tues Dec 3 ~ arrive Las Vegas

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

Hi Marsh-fratus,

Welcome to the Road Trips Forum.

I'm sorry to have to tell you, but you could not have timed your arrival at a worse time in terms of travel.

Our Thanksgiving Day is Thursday, 28 November, and most everyone will have that day off from work. They'll also take Friday 29 Nov. off as well, turning that into a four day holiday weekend. It is unequivocally our busiest travel period of the year, bar none.

The airports and highways will be packed with people beginning Wednesday afternoon, 27 Nov. and even on Thanksgiving Day itself, as families travel to be with one another or to escape to great places like the Grand Canyon or Las Vegas. Traffic will be slightly less on Friday and Saturday, but will pick up again on Sunday and into Monday as people return from their holiday weekend. (Friday, 29 Nov. is the busiest shopping day of the year, as virtually ALL retailers offer huge sales to kick off the Christmas shopping season.)

Trying to get out of LA from LAX heading east on that Wednesday will likely take hours.

It will be essential to have reservations for that period 27 Nov. - 2 Dec., so I recommend you nail down specific dates and locations, and do your best to make reservations NOW.

Again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Zed

goldcoast
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

Thanks everyone,

i thought it was thanksgiving on the 26th.

We are going to be over there for a period from 27th Nov to Jan 2nd .

So maybe delaying this stretch to later in our holiday might be a good idea.

I am just putting together all accomodations to book this week.

so am very grateful for this information.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

Maybe stay put for some time in LA. I also don't think its a good idea to go driving for a long time arriving from Australia (Goldcoast..) after the long flights and the strenous time for immigration and picking up the rental car.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,772 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

US Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday in November. The day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday, a huge shopping day. Any interest in shopping?

Visiting L.A. or San Diego over the holiday weekend would be a better idea.

goldcoast
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

Did someone say shopping...

Thanks for your replys

we are changing our plans due to thanksgiving.

we are in no hurry as we are in us for month.

so we have decided to stay put and do this leg later in trip when roads are not as busy.

About the shopping where is the best spot .

Somewhere that we might find something different from Australia shopping.

thanks

9. Re: la to grand canyon and beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:18