We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

ireland
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

Hi, we had our road trip planned but then thought wouldn't it be great to divert to Indianapolis to see Nascar. We have been n the states before but not this far north so any help with this itenarary would be fantastic.

This is just a section of our trip below.

Day 1. Toronto-niagara falls, spend few hrs at falls then head for possibly Cleveland or somewhere nice nearby for an overnight.

Day 2. Drive to Indianapolis. Chill out for the eve.

Day 3 nascar

Day 4 drive to Chicago, chill out, see the sights.

Day 5 see more sights in Chicago.

Day 6 drive to aurora for outlet shopping

Day 7 head to Sioux Falls.

Will end up in Denver eventually with all the cool sights along the way already planned so no help needed there. It's just the above section is a bit iffy. I am mad to do some shopping(any suggestions here also welcome-outlet, nordstorm, bloomingdales wanted) so I have cut down aurora from 2 nights to 1 & Chicago has one night cut off as well so that we can fit in Nascar

. Are we mad? Just think whilst in the general area we may as well see Nascar. To us as tourists it's like catching a baseball game or football. In essence, is it worth the diversion or not? R cud we plan it better? This is only 1 wk in our month long trip so the rest is much better planned than this chaoic trip. blame nascar. had trip planned,saw it and thought why not!Thanks for any useful suggestions.

Penny :)

Edited: 4:44 pm, today

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

Hi Pennypen,

Welcome to the Road Trips Forum.

Forgive me for asking, but you don't mention the timing of your trip. Are you planning on attending the Brickyard 400 race on 28 July? I ask, because that's the only NASCAR event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

indianapolismotorspeedway.com/brickyard400/

Your trip plan certainly is doable. A couple of alternatives for you...

Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so if that interests you, leave Niagara early in the morning to get there by midday to see the museum (closes at 5:30 PM). Then you can have a 6 hour or so drive to Indianapolis the next day.

http://rockhall.com/

Dayton has the National Museum of the US Air Force there, so the second option would be to drive from Niagara to Dayton, spend the night, and hit the museum as soon as it opens the next morning From Dayton to Indianapolis is about a 2.5 hour drive, so you could leave Dayton later in the afternoon and get to Indy early enough in the evening to have a wander around downtown.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

It's about 3.5 - 4.5 hours to downtown Chicago from Indy depending on the traffic

There's also the Chicagoland Speedway near Joliet, Illinois that hosts NASCAR events, too. You can check the schedule here to see how it aligns with the dates of your trip:

chicagolandspeedway.com/Tickets/NASCAR.aspx

Of course, there are other NASCAR events nationwide, and you can check the national schedule here:

nascar.com/en_us/…schedule.html

While you're in Indy, see if you can make time to see the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art. It's the most extensive collection of artifacts from Native American tribes from all over North America east of the Mississippi River.

http://www.eiteljorg.org/

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

ireland
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

Hi Zed,

Thanks so much. I think the brickyard 400 is the Brickyard one that's kind of doable. Funny we had our trip totally planned then saw Nascar and that put us off track a wee bit. Still trying decide if worth the diversion. We like cars but not into racing. It just looks cool so might be interesting to see. Would Definately be interested in the Native American museum so if heading that way thank you for that info. I know you've I'venever us lots of info there but if you are on this agin is there any cute town or somewhere scenic for a stopover or is Dayton the best option.

Thanks ever so much. That was fantastic and I really appreciate you giving us that info.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

Hi Pennypen,

If you're into cars, then perhaps a visit to the Henry Ford Museum near Detroit might be in order:

http://www.thehenryford.org/index.aspx

I have to admit that I haven't been there, but I've seen many others here highly recommend it.

If you're into classic, antique cars, check out the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana.

www.automobilemuseum.org/Pages/default.aspx

Either may satisfy your interests. Heck you could perhaps make time for both if you drove from Niagara Falls through Ontario to Detroit, and then dipped down I-69 to Auburn.

http://goo.gl/maps/fL5S1

If you did that, I'd skip Indianapolis.

Zed.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

The only day that concerns me is Aurora to Sioux Falls. Mapping software says 8 hours, I'd guess more like 11. Chicago to Rochester MN is 8, I know from driving it.

Get hotel reservations in Indy ASAP, I'd say. The airport hotels are not that far off. I love downtown but it will cost more. Be sure to drive through and see the monuments.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,593 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

So you are going to Indianapolis for the NASCAR race, the Brickyard 400? Or are you just going to Indianapolis because you saw that they had a NASCAR race? If the latter, there's actually a NASCAR track in central Michigan, more convenient to your original route: http://www.mispeedway.com/?homepage=true

With that, I'd also point out that the Ontario route from Niagara Falls to Chicago (along Route 401) is actually a little quicker than going around Lake Erie. I mean, if you're already in Canada and have no interest in going to Cleveland or Buffalo, then there's no reason at all why you should take that more southern route. Niagara Falls, Canada is much nicer than Niagara Falls, New York, and Cleveland is a great city (I go there once a year just to visit; just got back this past week) but you just don't have extra time to spare anywhere along this route. The US route also routes you on a pretty busy corridor that will have more traffic.

Another thing I wanted to point out was the outlets thing. You mention outlets that are very common across the country, so you have other options. These are generally owned by large corporations and, as a result, are pretty consistent. For instance, there's a large and popular one in Fremont, Indiana at the intersection of I-80 and I-69: www.horizongroup.com/our-centers/fremont/

I saw the question about Dayton being scenic. It's about as far from scenic as you can get. It's actually a nice town, but it's an old industrial city that's a little rough around the edges. If you want scenery, you can do better elsewhere. Like I said before though, even if you go to Indianapolis, I would strongly encourage you to take the Ontario route down the 401.

In Chicago, realize that having a car is difficult and expensive. Hotels in the Downtown area tend to charge at least $40 per night for parking. You may want to consider staying in the suburbs and take public transportation in to save money. That's what I usually do when I get up there.

This is a really rushed trip overall. You're going to be in the car all the time. If you're comfortable with that though, then go for it. Otherwise, I would also skip Indianapolis, take my time, and actually enjoy the trip instead of trying to push things in.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

Do you have the dates you will be making this road trip? What are your interests apart from NASCAR?

For outlet shopping, consider the Grove City Premium Outlets near the intersection of I-79 and I-80. It's a regional shopping mecca as there is no value-added tax in the U.S. and no sales tax on clothing or footwear in Pennsylvania.

Attractions in northern Ohio outside of Cleveland include Ohio Amish country, the Lake Erie islands, and Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world. Put-in-Bay on South Bass Island bills itself as the Key West of the North Coast.

Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, a very good zoo, and one of the nation's best art museums. The Cleveland Museum of Art has no admission charge to its general galleries and has the most advanced technology of any U.S. art museum. Gallery One features the largest multi-touch screen in the U.S., Studio Play has interactive kiosks, and ArtLens is an advanced iPad application. Visitors can rent an iPad for $5.

Cleveland also is the home of the West Side Market, one of the very best indoor public food markets in the U.S., and PlayhouseSquare, the second largest unified theater district in the U.S. after Lincoln Center in NYC, and the world's largest theater restoration project.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-d272155/Clevel…

Check out the Ohio Light Opera in Wooster if interested in Gilbert & Sullivan or musicals.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Dayton is the aviation history mecca of the world.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Check out The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI, for one of the top history destinations in the U.S. and for one of the nation's top auto and travel museums. The Rouge factory tour features the final assembly plant for Ford 150 trucks and large SUVs. It's a great tour when production is taking place.

Good planning!

Edited: 24 June 2013, 10:12
ireland
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

Hi there,

Thanks very much for all your replies. I ave scanned them and when I have time I will look into all your suggestions in detail later. Thanks very so much. Yes I agree it is a rushed. We had everything planned & booked until we spotted Nascar and got derailed. We are comming round to the notion of ditching the Nascar. We love driving so long drives really don't bother us. In fact it's one of the highlights of our holidays.. Your roads are generally fantastic. We are zipping through some of these places quickly as they are en route to Badlands, Rushmore, Yellowstone all od pf which we plan to take our time more. The 8 hr trip is our longest but I will Definately look into the alternative routes you mention. T

Thank you all so much for your helpfulness. I will post bac when I've decided on finalising the crazy route.

Thanks,

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

Read some of your other posts and saw that shopping is a priority.

Just east of Cleveland is the combination of Beachwood Place and Legacy Village, one of the most upscale shopping destinations in Ohio. Beachwood Place has Dillard's (one of the largest U.S. department store chains and not as common in northern states), one of the highest volume Saks department stores, and a Nordstrom's.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s405/Cleveland…

Easton Town Center in Columbus is a Midwest shopping mecca.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

The Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland, currently under renovation, features a unique collection from the dawn of the auto age.

ireland
Level Contributor
549 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Niagara-Indianapolis-Chicago!

Hi,

Thanks for the shopping info and museum. shopping generally is not a priority. It's just we don't have the same stores here so I have to plan a day in the states. Thanks very much for the info :)