We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London, Ontario to California Road Trip

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
London, Ontario to California Road Trip

My boyfriend and I are planning a road trip for next June/July where we hope to take a few weeks and drive to California from London, Ontario. If anyone has any suggestions as far as stops to make along the way and what we have to see/do in California, we would love to hear your suggestions!

Thank you :)

Edited: 24 June 2013, 16:05
georgia
Level Contributor
490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London, Ontario to California Road Trip

Stay in san francisco for a couple days bike across the golden gate bridge to the town of sausalito, and then take the ferry back to san fran, going by alcatraz prison, and you could also do a night tour of the prison. Then take the pacific coast highway down to the 17 mile highway that goes by pebble beach golf resort by and ends up at the town carmel by the sea, great little town for shopping.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London, Ontario to California Road Trip

Great suggestions! Thank you!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London, Ontario to California Road Trip

What would you like to see? How long do you have to get to San Francisco? Is this a round-trip drive?

A lot of people doing this very, very long drive try to visit Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore. But, if you're looking for more urban entertainment, historical sites, etc., then you could be directed elsewhere. It all depends.

Edited: 24 June 2013, 21:36
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London, Ontario to California Road Trip

We plan on spending a couple weeks at least, so we would like to see as much of California as possible! Yes, it's a round trip. I most definitely want to spend some time in San Fran.

I'd like a bit of variety - I want to spend some time at some beautiful beaches and parks, as well as see the Hollywood sign and go somewhere like Sea World or the San Diego Zoo, etc. Since we will be there for awhile I'd like to see and do as much as possible so I'm really open to any suggestions that people have.

The really popular tourist attractions are pretty easy to find, but if anyone has any hidden gems I might be missing I'm particularly interested in hearing about those.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London, Ontario to California Road Trip

Okay. How much are you willing to drive each day? You have an excessive amount of ground to cover so, if you're mostly interested in California, I would just buzz through. You've basically got a week's worth of activities in California and a full one week of driving one-way. So you're going to have to just condense. 3.5 days for this drive to California is just not possible. It's 46 hours of driving one-way, according to Mapquest. As in about 15 hours per day. Seeing things along the way is just not going to work for you, unfortunately.

Concentrate on the big sites and work in the little ones. Check out the Golden Gate, but forget the bike + Sausalito ferry idea, because it's just too much time. Night tour at Alcatraz if you're interested though. You've got Chinatown, North Beach, Union Square, etc. I think you only have time for two days. You should take a full day to get from San Francisco to Santa Barbara via Monterey. You should take more time to do this drive, but it's a drive worth doing and you just don't have extra time for it. Two days in LA, with the Hollywood sign (realize that you cannot get anywhere near it, and you can only take your picture from about 1km away), maybe the Getty Museum, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, etc. San Diego, for me, is where it's at. Beautiful scenery, lots to do, great restaurants, great people, great beaches, etc. If you're looking for the less visited tourist sites, I'd suggest Point Loma since you have a car and the Balboa Park "El Prado" plus the rose garden (really beautiful, just across the street). There's also the computer museum Downtown, which I always thought was cool, particularly if you grew up at all in the 80's.

But, man, this is rushed. Look at a map and good luck with the planning.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London, Ontario to California Road Trip

Thank you for all of your help! When I say we want to spend at least a couple of weeks, I mean we want to spend at least a couple of weeks actually IN california. We plan on taking time around that to drive there and back. We only plan on stopping when we need to - we would like to get there as quickly as possible so we are taking turns driving so the other can rest, making some stops for food but also packing snacks. If we pass through any cool areas, get out and take a break. That sort of thing. The drive is just over 30 hours apparently. My parents did a 25 hour drive straight through taking turns, so I figure if we take a couple more breaks than them to get out and walk for a bit then hopefully we can get there in sooner than a week. If there are any things I NEED to see along the way then I figured we would plan that as a break and get out to enjoy that before we continue our travels to California :) I guess we should take to my boyfriend's father - he has made the drive a few times. Since we have places to stay in California with family, I was thinking about just taking a month leave so we can just do things at our own pace and decide when we are ready to come home.

Great suggestions, thank you! I will definitely look into all of that. Much appreciated!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London, Ontario to California Road Trip

If you have little interest in the middle of the country and are just going to blaze through it, then you should just fly. WestJet has relatively cheap flights to LA but, since you're already willing to drive, you could pop into the US to fly. For instance, there was a sale last week on a new Delta non-stop from Indianapolis to Los Angeles, starting at $148 round-trip. Delta has a hub in Detroit, so you'd likely be able to find a good deal out of there, and I know it's pretty close to London. Even with two of you flying, there's no way you could do the round-trip drive that cheaply. You have to look at the hidden costs too, like how much you value your time. You're talking at least 6 days out of your life, even if you drove like meth addicts. You will also not need the car the entire time either, since it's more of a liability in San Francisco with heavy parking fees at hotels in the city. Also, I've traveled by car for several months at a time before: it really wears on you. You're going to be driving all the time for close to a month.

Up to you though.

8. Re: London, Ontario to California Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:17