We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

Dublin-Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

Hi there,

Finally getting back with the family ( 2x 17 yr olds and a 21 yr old ) to California for the first time since 2009 .

And boy are we sure looking forward to it all.

San diego area for first week ,near La Jolla,then back to Santa Barbara for a week .

We then have four days ,the middle two of which we want to spend in Las VEgas.

So heres the real question ...that I would really welcome some knowledgable inputs to .

Leaving Santa barbara on Friday morning and not back to Los Angeles until tuesday afternoon.

How do i best use this time to see something different on the way out TO LAs Vegas and back from it .

A nice circuit out and back taking in two nights in LV and two split nights elsewhere.

Many thanks in advance.

Emmet

Dublin-Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

Emmet here again,just adding a little background on my current thoughts

the reality is we are easygoing and would like to see whats best while there taking in peoples advice as to not misses.

As I look at the map from LA to LV and back, it would seem there are a few choices to approach this trip.

On the assumption that we take the friday to drive towards Las Vegas Via Barstow and calico ghost town direction .

Spend the saturday and sunday in Las Vegas and then return towards LA but in the directon of Mohave valley and Essex.

I suppose the real question is with a circuit like this are there obvious places we should see?

Are there places to deffinitely avoid?

Any good spots that one perhaps would say would be good overnight towns to stop in on way out friday night and back on the monday night?

The other option of course is just head for four nights in LV ,two days spent there and use two others to take trips out to Grand canyon perhaps?

Kind regards

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,588 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

You didn't mention WHEN and that can be important and given that this could potentially be a three state trip, yeah I'd call it a road trip :)

Friday is absolute WORST day imaginable to be leaving the coast to head to Las Vegas. I'd leave Santa Barbara no later than 9AM and below is the route I'd look at,

http://goo.gl/maps/enmPr

So you could go to Death Valley on the way to Las Vegas (see map below).

http://goo.gl/maps/xPKvp

But personally I'd go straight to Las Vegas, spend two nights, then drive to Zion National Park, spend the night at the Cliffrose Lodge & Gardens and then drive back to Vegas for a night and then back to LA.

http://goo.gl/maps/tLdJm

If it isn't a winter trip, I'd also consider the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and the Grand Canyon Lodge. You could drive through Zion and spend the night at the North Rim and then drive back to Vegas.

http://goo.gl/maps/uWLQd

PS the above would be a four state trip :)

Edited: 25 June 2013, 03:54
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

On the way to Vegas, instead of taking I-15 from Barstow, take I-40 to Kelbaker Road and drive thru the Mojave Preserve. Along the way you see lots of Joshua Trees, the "singing dunes" near Kelso, and the Kelso Depot.

I like Scotts idea of Zion too.Except I prefer the Desert Pearl!

Depending on time of year (pretty important) you could also drive straight to Vegas, then return to LA via the Mojave Preserve, Joshua Tree National Park and Palm Springs.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

If you can stand the heat, Death Valley NP between the coast and Las Vegas would be my choice. Weekends in Las Vegas always are a lot more expensive than during the wekk but you probably already know. On the way back take the route Deze described. Or do it in reverse. I don't think you'll have enough time to do both Zion and North rim in your limited time.

Dublin-Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

Many thanks to all ,

I really appreciate the advice and help .

We are travelling to US on the 4th of July ,however commencing the trip as above during third week in July .

Looks good ,out to Death valley on the friday ,any ideas where around there one would and might want to stay ?

On To Las Vegas on the saturday and sunday ,and then down through Mojave preserve ,joshua tree etc. for monday and monday night before returning to LA on tuesday morning ..sounds great .

Again any thoughts as to potential lay overs for the monday night on way back ?

Many thanks again .

This is great

Kind regards

Emmet

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

Try to get a room inside Death Valley NP at Stovepipe Wells or Furnace Creek Ranch.

See Dantes View on the way to Vegas, for a sweeping view of how vast DVNP really is.

For the drive back to California, be sure to fill up in Vegas or Primm.There is also pricey gas at Cima Road at I-15 and at Roys in Amboy. The next stop is 29 Palms for gas or lodging, but I would do the north loop of Joshua Tree NP (enter at Utah Trail Street in 29 Palms, exit at the town of Joshua Tree) then head to Palm Springs for the night. If you stay near downtown, all the restaurants and shops are generally within walking distance of many hotels.

Try and do the tram while in town. It takes you to the top of the mountain.

www.pstramway.com

www.nps.gov/deva

www.nps.gov/moja

www.nps.gov/jtnp

Between JTNP and PS is Pioneertown, where they have the western movie sets and a restaurant/bar/music venue called Pappy and Harriets.

Be sure to pack a few gallons of drinking water in the car for the drive thru the desert.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 00:15
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

Here is the route from Vegas to PS.

https:/…DriveThruMojavePreserve

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

Dez already mentioned it but definitely stop at Kelso Depot and Museum along the tracks of Union Pacific and have something to eat at The Beanery. We love to sit outside on the bench and see those mile long trains pass. The museum also is interesting an staff is very friendly and helpful.

Tet

9. Re: Not a road trip ...but la to las vegas and back ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:17