We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

Apologies in advance if theres an existing thread but I couldn't find one. We're flying into Seattle and plan to drive non-stop to Vegas, just stopping for food/coffee in between. We figure with two drivers it should be doable, would appreciate any tips like routes to avoid. Thanks!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

What time of year are you doing this?

I believe I-5 - I-80 - US 95 is quickest. If you're looking for something a little more scenic, then you can take US 395 south from Reno and cut over.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

Thanks for the reply - we're planning to do it next month. Google suggested three routes of which the first is shortest (17.5 hrs)

1) I-84E

2) I-84E and I-15 S

3) US-95 S

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,512 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

You're looking at 18+ hours any way you cut it; if it was me I'd avoid the I-5 corridor altogether and take I-90 to I-82/84 to Salt Lake then I-15 the rest of the way. Maybe an hour or two (tops) longer than via US 93 or some such N/S road in Nevada, but easier on the system and more places to pull over for a catnap should the need arise.

Note this is assuming the trip is not in midwinter, when mountain passes can be troublesome.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

I would choose the route through Salt Lake as well in July. US 95 in Nevada is just awful at that time of year. It's prettier too.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

Thanks for the responses! The trip is next month so weather should be ok.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

Colinaz, just so I'm understanding correctly - what makes US 95 awful? My guess is that its a hot, barren drive but wanted to make sure :)

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

Right. There's just nothing on it. Even the towns suck. It gets very boring.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

Have you checked Southwest, Allegiant or Alaska for cheap flights? With the rental car and gas, it might be a better idea.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

The original plan was to make a one-way road trip out of it with while stopping by in a few places. Then we changed our mind and decided we'd like to get there as quick as possible :).

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for Seattle to Vegas non-stop?

I don't know where us95 comes from. Our perferred route is to take the interstates to Twin Falls and then hit us93 through the desert. 93 most is 70 mph max and shortest to Las Vegas imo.