We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delaware to Newport, RI via I95.

Newark, Delaware
1 post
Save Topic
Delaware to Newport, RI via I95.

Any recommendations on where to stop along the way? NYC has been ruled out. We're looking for something scenic where we can have a nice lunch and stretch our legs. Maybe do a little shopping, brief sightseeing.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delaware to Newport, RI via I95.

Maybe try Mystic CT. Great location and plenty of restaurants.

Level Contributor
1,223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delaware to Newport, RI via I95.

Mystic is the best suggestion. Of course, you will almost be at your destination. Mystic might be less than 5 hours from Newark and only an hour to Providence. Nevertheless, if you are leaving early, it would be right for lunch, browsing, and sightseeling, before wrapping up the last hour.

On similar trips, I prefer someplace in NYC, maybe the Village or Brooklyn Heights for lunch and a stretch but you do have to be a New York driver.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delaware to Newport, RI via I95.

The town green in New Haven is nice. Lots of historic architecture, including Yale, and there's also the supposed origin of the hamburger and the American pizza nearby.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delaware to Newport, RI via I95.

Consider not going up the Jersey Turnpike, I95, even if Google maps is commanding you to. Resist! If you do go that way, it will be about $13 in cash tolls.. Once you pass New Brunswick, NJ you will be in heavy industrial driving territory.

As far as stops are concerned, Longwood Gardens and the Brandywine River Museum (Wyeth family) are worth half a day in Chadd's Ford.

The Trenton Market is a favorite of mine and worth finding. It has been there forever and is not in the unsafe part of Trenton. It is actually in Lawrenceville. www.thetrentonfarmersmarket.com/history.php

Princeton University is a pretty place to walk around, too.

You can skip most of the tolls and the hideous industrial drive by going up 206 through Princeton to Somerville, then take 287 north to Suffern and east to Tarrytown, White Plains and Port Chester.

I used to live in that area and still have family there, and that would be the route a local would take.

The NJ Turnpike goes through the most densely populated part of the US, outside of the urban cores. It is not a scenic country drive.

5. Re: Delaware to Newport, RI via I95.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 05:16