We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Ma to Las Vegas

Boston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boston Ma to Las Vegas

On my bucket list now that I'm retired. I'm a 60ish male planning a auto road trip by myself in July. My plan is to drive direct with minimal stops. What are the most reasonable motels to use? My schedule is flexible. I have the convenience of stopping at any attraction along the way. Any suggestions are welcomed.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

I am not sure what you want.

You want to drive direct with minimal stops, but stop at any attraction along the way. There are a lot of attractions...

It is beastly hot in the Southwest in July, so you might want to stay north and go to Yellowstone, then drop down.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

Of course everybody's idea of a road trip is different, but why, now that you are retired and thus have the time would you want to drive to the other end of the country with minimal stops? (Or have I missed something?)

You are shortchanging your great country, and missing a fantastic opportunity, but that's my view. Even if you're on a budget, there are ways of stretching the time without breaking the bank. Also, as home seems to be Boston, are you planning to then drive back, or what?

SWT

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

JSL, welcome to TA and the road trips forum!

If making minimal stops, wouldn't it be cheaper to just fly to LV, or are you planning to explore the West after LV?

Check out Red Roof Inns for good but reasonably priced accommodations.

A bargain stop after your first night's drive would be the Red Roof Inn just south of the I-90/route 306 interchange in Willoughby, Ohio. Book a second-floor room to avoid the chain's pet-friendly rooms, when possible. At the route 91 interchange just west of route 306 are several good breakfast chains, such as Bob Evans, the regional Eat 'n Park with a good breakfast buffet, and Cracker Barrel, as most Red Roofs do not offer free breakfasts.

Definitely use TA's hotel reviews.

Good planning!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

Check out the Cleveland forum and "Things to Do" (click on Cleveland in the top margin) if interested in exploring northeast Ohio. Click on the "Travel Guide" for some very useful travel articles.

The Rock and Roll of Fame and Museum is in Cleveland and the Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton.

If you take I-71 to I-70, Dayton is the aviation history mecca of the U.S.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Once you have a route, check other local destination forums and "Things to Do," certainly posting there. You'll get many ideas by reading through many months of threads in this forum.

Good planning!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

TE - Don't you sleep?!

SWT

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

Here's a web page which also may be helpful, although personally I don't agree with many of the listings (especially the parks listing, which is outrageous). The rankings I believe are gleaned from TA member ratings, but they still are useful for determining stops on a road trip.

tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Attractions

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

SWT,

Most of the time, but I konked out very early yesterday and was wakened by thunderstorms in the early morning, and got hooked on some PBS programs and now CNBC. Big mistake turning on the TV! :-)

Boston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

Thanks for all the responses. I have the time to stay and explore the many sites along the way. A budget motel is all I need. I appreciate the many suggestions to discover our country. I want to drive to Vegas across the mid west and return through the south. All ideas are welcomed. Thanks. john

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,073 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

Glad to learn you are having a rethink about just driving the shortest or fastest route when there's no need to do so.

As you're new to this forum, please may I suggest you have a browse of the Top Qs on this forum for some ideas of places to visit and a few practical ideas. Then use the search facility for budget motel suggestions and budget food ideas. The one regular tip here that I would suggest it to take a cooler with you. Not only can you then purchase food and drinks at grocery store prices, but when it gets hot, you will have something cool to sip. Also carry your favourite snacks from home or bought at places with better prices than some of the stops along interstate exits.

As we try to avoid the very cheapest motels, I'm not sure which is the rock bottom chain, price wise, but if you will be staying in a number of motels, it can be a great idea to join the loyalty scheme of one or two and try and confine your stays to those chains, as you will then earn free nights to use later during the trip. Also, check out TA reviews for good value mom and pop motels, too. Otherwise, if you know for sure where you will stay, as long as you know the rules and pitfalls, there's always hotwire or priceline. The hotel chain I personally prefer on the road is ChoiceHotels as they have a very widespread coverage across their many brands, but I don't know if their cheapest brand is supercheap or not. Some motels include breakfast, but at the bottom end of the market this is generally some weak instant coffee and a packaged muffin. I'm not sure I'd want that day in, day out!

If you're going to hit a number of the wonderful national parks to be found across the country, then buy the $80 park pass at the first one. It can really save you $$$ as some of the big parks out west are pricey (for good reasons!) if you pay individually.

Here's a link to a website to find the cheapest gas as you head from state to state:

http://gasbuddy.com/

Here's a link to hep you find some fun, unusual or just plain wacky stuff just off the main highways, wherever you may travel.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Have a great trip,

SWT

Boston...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Ma to Las Vegas

Thanks great variety of experienced suggestions.