We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC to Kansas City - 6 people

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
NYC to Kansas City - 6 people

We may be going to Kansas City July 19 - July 22. It's about 20 hours each way by car, Route 70 most of the way, and we expect to just nap at a rest area between major stretches of driving. The most general question is can we work in a few side trips on the way. A few more specific questions:

1) Any suggested natural stopping place, either for a nap or hotel room? It looks like Columbus or Indianapolis, depending on how we feel, are those about right for half-way? Also, are there rest areas on Route 70?

2) Anyone know of an "I-70 guide" or website out there? We have one for I-95; both a book and an app, so one for I-70 would be much appreciated. Our experience is that some of the guides are really out of date, so if someone knows of a good one, that would be great.

3) My son is interested in Carnegie-Mellon; how far of a detour would that be? Is Pittsburgh an okay city to drive in or does traffic tend to be heavy and streets confusing?

Other info that might be of use - we like to photograph scenery and birds, and aren't as much interested in tourist traps (unless they have scenery and birds!). We were looking at going to the City Museum in Kansas City, and also Powell Gardens.

Any help would be appreciated, including pointing to previous posts or other forums. I really love TripAdvisor and am so happy to find the Road Trips forum!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,774 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC to Kansas City - 6 people

Pittsburgh is not much of a detour. Traffic in downtown area can be bad especially during rush hour. There are lots of bridges and tunnels and this tends to slow down traffic. Carnegie Mellon sits off Forbes Ave. which is a busy street with several hospitals, library and museums on it.

Do not know of a guide for I 70 but you can find out what is at each exit using this website-

www.allstays.com/Special/I-70-interstate.htm

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
713 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC to Kansas City - 6 people

City museum is in St Louis not KC. KC has a City Market area. Might want to look into the Katy Trail in Missouri as well.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC to Kansas City - 6 people

The Wilds near Zanesville, OH, is an important birding area.

The Hocking Hills might be a 2-3 hour detour, but the region is considered one of the most beautiful in Ohio, especially after recent rains when the water features are full.

There are several National Natural Landmarks close to I-70 in Ohio -- Dysart Woods, Cranberry Bog, Blacklick Woods, Glen Helen Nature Preserve, and Clifton Gorge.

www.nature.nps.gov/nnl/state.cfm?State=OH

Apart from The Wilds, Pickerington Ponds, and C. J. Brown are other Ohio important bird areas close to I-70.

http://audubonohio.org/bsc/sites2.html

Dayton, Ohio, is the aviation history mecca of the world.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Good planning!

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC to Kansas City - 6 people

Thank you so much! It looks like we might have to go next year around the same time instead though, but we will keep your advice in mind.

5. Re: NYC to Kansas City - 6 people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:20