We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Topic
10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

Hello all. My family and I are going on a 10 day road trip starting from LA (in a RV) in late August. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could suggest a realistic itinerary for us. We are starting in LA (and finishing there) and would like to see San Francisco, Yosemite, High country, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Anaheim. Not sure about order, how much time or where to go. From Australia and haven't done this before. Any advice will be appreciated...many thanks Stephen

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

==== copying my reply from the CA state forum, tho' I see your question here is a bit different. Tell us more about your family and your travel style. Is this a full RV or a small campervan? Have you read the RV tips here on this forum's Top Questions? =============

I'm a tent camper, not an RV camper, but I can make a guess at a reasonable itinerary for a family with kids beginning a trip over the Labor Day Holiday Weekend.

Fri Aug 30 - pick up RV. Expect to spend 1 - 3 hrs getting the RV. Drive to a nearby RV Park, stopping on the way for groceries.

Sat Aug 31 (Labor Day Weekend) - begin coastal drive. Stay Pismo Beach area. (I don't know any specific RV Parks or state parks that would have availability for one night on a holiday weekend. Maybe spend 2 nights here?)

Sun Sept 1 (Labor Day Weekend) - drive Hwy 1. See Top Questions on the right for specifics. Stay on the Monterey Peninsula. Maybe Sunset Beach State Park?

Mon Sept 2 (Labor Day!) - either spend a second night here in the Monterey area or have spent 2 nights in the Pismo Beach area.

Tues Sept 3 - SF area RV Park. There are no convenient options. I think staying at a motel or motor inn in San Francisco makes more sense; you won't use the campervan for sleeping but you won't pay for parking. If you prefer to stay outside the City and to pay for transportation into the city, read ideas here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k6280445

Wed Sept 4 - SF

Thur Sept 5 - SF

Fri Sept 6 - drive 4 hrs to Yosemite. Find a campsite! Look for cancellations at one of the campgrounds in Yosemite Valley or near Yosemite Valley! *Can I emphasize enough that reservations will make your life much better?*

Sat Sept 7 - Tuolumne Meadows * reservation *

Sun Sept 8 - Bishop / Lone Pine area / Panamint Springs

Mon Sept 9 - drive thru Death Valley NP (assuming you are allowed in your rental campervan) to Las Vegas. Circus Circus? Cheaper to stay in a week-day airconditioned hotel and just park the campervan?

Tues Sept 10 - 5 hr drive to South Rim, stay Trailer Village? regular campground? ask on the Grand Canyon NP forum page (in Arizona)

Wed Sept 11 - very long drive to Anaheim

Thurs Sept 12 - return campervan

---------------

My first attempt at a reasonable itinerary did not get you to Anaheim by the 9th. Something must be cut from the itinerary. How early can you pick up the RV / campervan? Can you get on the road by noon to get to the Pismo Beach area? How tough will it be to find an RV Park / State Park / campground for the holiday weekend? How much of San Francisco do you want to enjoy ... a tiny bit? Is the beauty of Yosemite important to you? Do you HAVE to go to Las Vegas? Will you ever be back, perhaps enjoying the popular loop trip around the National Parks & beautiful areas of the desert southwest (Grand Canyon, Page, Monument Valley, Bryce, Zion)?

Be sure to read the relevant Top Questions *on the California state forum page* to see if some descriptions sound like your type of trip, then include them.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

PNWF gave you a great route but it's not for 10 days. With an RV it can take up to 9-10 hours with a couple of reststops between GC and Anaheim and I also don't see how you can visit DL in those 10 days. With only 10 days I'd skip GCNP.

Tet

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

Here we go. Can you please give me some feedback etc for the following..

Fri Aug 30 - Pick up RV, get supplies and make our way to a park for overnight stay. Maybe Pismo Beach. I think we get the RV around 1 pm.

Sat Aug 31 - Stay in Pismo Beach one more night or go to Monteray??

Sun Sept 1 - Drive to Monteray or stay for second night. (Do you think two nights in Pismo Bor Monteray??)

Mon Sept 2 - Drive to SF and stay until Thurs Sept 5.

Thurs Sept 5 - San Francisco to Yosemite

Fri Sept 6 - Tuolumne Meadows * reservation *

Sat Sept 7 - Bishop / Lone Pine area / Panamint Springs - Which one would you suggest??

Sun Sept 8 - Drive to ??? Stay overnight. Maybe Barstow ??

Mon Sept 9 - Barstow?? to Anaheim. Say in Anaheim and LA area until return of RV on Thurs Sept 12.

What do you think??

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,060 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

Our last major holiday of the summer is Labor Day weekend. Traffic will be heavy and lots of people hit the roads for one last holiday before many of the schools start. Labor day weekend in August 31, September 1 and 2.

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

If you had to choose between saying in (1) Tuolumne Meadows and (2) Bishop / Lone Pine area / Panamint Springs. Where would you rather stay? I might need to lose one

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

I suggest, you "lose" San Francisco ... Where the RV is useless ... carracar

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

What about parking outside and getting public transport in to town??

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,060 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

For specific questions about Yosemite you might want to post on the Yosemite NP forum in California. The DE's are excellent.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

You say: <<pick up the RV by 1 pm>> But they will give you instructions that can take 2 hours and you also have to stock up that can take another 2 hours. Just see how far you can get that day. Bishop is a larger town wilthall amenities. Lone Pine is cute at the foot of Mt Whitney and has its Alabama Hills and a movie museum. Panamint Springs is in Death Valley NP. Not sure if you want to go to DVNP that will be very hot and not always allowed to drive an RV into it. South of Lone Pine is a great place for camping in Reed Rock Canyon SP (still quite a drive from Lone Pine though) From Lone Pine or red Rock you easily can get to Anaheim that day without making another stop. Pismo Beach if you like a beachstay but imo there's more to do in Monterey (aquarium whalewatching etc)

Tet

Sydney, Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Day family RV trip - LA loop.

Thankyou