We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Road Trip to Alaska with 7 & 9 Year Olds

Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
First Road Trip to Alaska with 7 & 9 Year Olds

Very late in planning a trip to South Central Alaska. Would like to see lots of wildlife, icebergs and be moderately active (hiking, kayaking, panning all good but kid boundaries needed). We are wondering if we should fly into Anchorage, maybe fly to Denali (many friends said bus trip was too long). Stay in the park and take a trip from within? Then maybe return to Anchorage and head south to Homer. Alaska website suggests stops in seward, soldotna, homer, girdwood and a flight to kodiak island. Any thoughts, suggestions or modifications? Are there any tours that you thought were just great (kids in mind). Thanks

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Road Trip to Alaska with 7 & 9 Year Olds

Hi Rileyc65

I have to admit that I'm a little confused about what you intend to do... You're posting in the Road Trips forum, yet talking about flying or taking the bus to Denali.

Seeing as your trip will be contained entirely within Alaska, my recommendation is that you repost your questions in the Alaska forum. You'll get far better answers from the locals there.

I drove to Alaska in 1993 and loved every minute of it, driving into the state from Canada and heading to Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, the Kenai Peninsula, and Homer. I spent nearly a month in the state on that trip, and it was great.

There is the option of taking the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Denali as well, so you should check that out.

Again, please try in the Alaska forum for better advice that what I can give you based on my trip 20 years ago.

Zed

Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Road Trip to Alaska with 7 & 9 Year Olds

Sorry to confuse. Road tripping from Anchorage to surrounding sights. Not adverse to flying to sights if they are too far (like Denali).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Road Trip to Alaska with 7 & 9 Year Olds

Looks as if you're now posting on the Anchorage forum :-)

We took this "26 Glacier Cruise" years ago when we took our RV to Alaska. I see it's still going and very popular - it was great fun!

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31163-d62…

4. Re: First Road Trip to Alaska with 7 & 9 Year Olds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:17