We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on Road trip Seattle WA to Coos Bay OR and onto CA

Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
496 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Help on Road trip Seattle WA to Coos Bay OR and onto CA

Hubby and friends are doing a crazy cross country on motorcycles....I wasnt liking their portion from Seattle to Ca.......they take Rt 5 up to Rt 38 to 101 towards Coos Bay in OR and then switch back to Rt 5 from Rt 42 towards Sacramento CA. They want to see the Oregon Coastline, would this be a part they have good views while riding and stopping overnite at Coos Bay?

This is a 3 week cross country trip in which they leave NJ and head up Rt 80 to Seattle then head down to Sacramento- they wanted to stop at Napa but I don't think they have time, then they head down to LA and then towards LV and Grand Canyon and back up to 70 home....

From their plans, it shows 113 hours of driving, brake that up to no more then 8-10 hours a day of riding ...insane at minimal but my biggest problem while helping them is my complete lack of knowledge on roads on the Rt 5 part, Oregon Trail parts.

Will there be crazy amounts of people? should they do more of the Oregon Trail then what is on their plans for maximum enjoyment?

Greatly appreciate it!!!!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on Road trip Seattle WA to Coos Bay OR and onto CA

You don't mention when they're doing this.

Personally, I liked the northern California coastline better than the Oregon coastline, having done that drive in July, possibly because the Oregon coast was more crowded. I've been back to the Oregon coast in March and the crowds were definitely thinner, but not missing, and it was definitely chilly. Certainly chillier than I'd want if I were on a motorcycle.

You also don't mention how long they'll have for the coastal portion but it does sound a little rushed. I-5 is not really that scenic. Interstates are only rarely scenic. The scenery should be very nice on the southbound 101 though, if that's your question.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by the Oregon Trail. The Oregon Trail runs from the Midwest to Oregon as an old pioneer wagon route. Is that what they're using to get out to Oregon?

Hope that helps.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on Road trip Seattle WA to Coos Bay OR and onto CA

So they are doing the whole thing in three weeks? I hope they aren't using the Google maps time estimates to plan their ten hour days.

I also hope they have been working out and are in tiptop condition for this physical marathon.

When are they going?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on Road trip Seattle WA to Coos Bay OR and onto CA

You don't indicate when this will be, so commenting on traffic and conditions is difficult.

If you mean that their only time on the Oregon coast is between SR 38 (Reedsport) and SR 42 (Coos Bay) then they might as well skip the coast entirely. There are some very scenic parts of the coastline north of Reedsport and many more south of Coos Bay, generally from the town of Bandon to the California state line, but the bit between SR 38 and SR 42 is bland. Coos Bay is an industrial town that's seen, shall we say, better days.

By heading back to I-5 so soon they're also missing one of the highlights of road trips in the west - the Redwoods.

I would strongly suggest they research this route - http://goo.gl/maps/kNmcC - which will offer a good combination of speed (if they're in a hurry) and scenic rides.

However, is there some reason to head back inland to Sacramento? The coastal route (US 101) is a much more enjoyable route between the north coast and southern California; it's only a few hours slower overall, but far, far more scenic and pleasant.

Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
496 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on Road trip Seattle WA to Coos Bay OR and onto CA

Sorry- they are leaving next week so its in July.......yes they are in tip top physical condition. Hubby does many crazy bike trips.

Old Bridge, New...
Level Contributor
496 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on Road trip Seattle WA to Coos Bay OR and onto CA

I like your route ibgardyloo- much more scenic........I would prefer them skip Sacramento altogether for another time or go from Sacramento over to Reno and take that route instead- IMO that would give them more scenic choices

6. Re: Help on Road trip Seattle WA to Coos Bay OR and onto CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 05:18