We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from San Diego to Vancouver-worried about lodging

Parkville, Missouri
6 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from San Diego to Vancouver-worried about lodging

Hello,

My brother and I are taking motorcycles from San Diego to Vancouver Canada over a three week period end of July into August. We would like to do a combination of camping and motel/hotels. We'd like to keep the trip somewhat fluid in the event I find an area that we like and want to spend more time there. Should we be worried about finding lodging in California, Oregon, Wasington or Vancouver if we do not make reservations in advance?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,232 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from San Diego to Vancouver-worried about lodging

> Should we be worried about finding lodging in California, Oregon, Wasington or Vancouver if we do not make reservations in advance?

Absolutely! You're going at the busiest time of year for the Pacific Coast. Not only are there a ton of tourists milling around and soaking up the rooms, but there are random and sometimes major events going on: marathons, waffle festivals, chotchky days, sandcastle tournaments... Just wandering in to that and trying to get a room will mean many late nights and many stays in total dumps. Camping, especially near the ocean, fills up in the summer in advance as well.

Good luck with your planning though!

Parkville, Missouri
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from San Diego to Vancouver-worried about lodging

Great. I'm thoroughly scared now! Ha ha. I'll get on some reservations today. Appreciate the advice!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,764 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from San Diego to Vancouver-worried about lodging

We are doing a two week road trip to Washington, Oregon and northern California and some of the places that I checked several months ago especially on the weekends were booked already. I had the most difficulty when booking along the coast of Oregon and in Hood River, OR.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,959 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from San Diego to Vancouver-worried about lodging

Hi Robert G. I have lived on the Oregon coast for many years.

First, there are well over 100 campgrounds along the Oregon coast within 2 miles of Highway 101. They do NOT all fill up ahead - only those state parks in popular areas relatively close to Portland.

Every town along the coast has at least one older, smaller motel; many have several, even small towns. They rarely fill up, even in high summer. The more deluxe and/or oceanfront and ocean view resorts and hotels will fill up.

If you're taking I-5, there are countless motels all along it in every town. If you are going to any areas that have limited lodging, yes, you should book ahead.

For example, Hood River has lots of B&Bs/Inns, but regular motels are fairly limited. The other problem is that it is:

A) The windsurfing capitol of the USA - very popular

B) Only about an hour from over one million people in Portland

If you want to post your proposed itinerary, we could make suggestions.

5. Re: Traveling from San Diego to Vancouver-worried about lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:19