We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

port credit,ont
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

Whenever I fill up my car using a credit card at the pump, I almost always am asked to enter a ZIP code # but being from Canada it does'nt work. Are there any chain gas stations that do not require this and also are there any chains that have pre-paid "gift cards" that could also be used ?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

Try the first 3 numbers of your postal code, followed by 00 (zero, zero)

So, for example if your postal code happens to K2R 4H7, you would key in 24700.

That should work It's worked for me....for sure

Edited: 11 July 2013, 22:10
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

Also, you might contact your credit card company & ask what they say to do.

I never(?) get asked when I'm at a local station, but get asked when in the road routinely; I assume the same is true for you. They obviously know that the attempted charge isn't local so I assume they have a response they "like" to see to know its really you.

Lastly, are you ever asked this when traveling in Canada? If so, I'd respond the same way that you do there if you don't hear otherwise or don't have the time to get a definitive answer.

Hope this helps,

hlo

Edited: 12 July 2013, 01:35
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,718 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

hi

in Canada most of the cards now have a chip and in BC, pay at the pump now has the feature where it sucks your card and you have to enter your pin # then is comes out. This is for Husky/Mohawk stations.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

Shell, Chevron/Texaco and Tesoro have gift cards. Probably most of the large chains do.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,867 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

This is an increasing hassle even for Americans. I virtually always am now required to put in ZIP regardless of where I am or what card I'm using. Not sure what to suggest you do but you have a bit of direction.

Several states have passed legislation or issued court rulings against the practice as it relates to data mining.

I suspect it's hear to stay.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

Hi.

Yes a blight for us Brits too. In my recent experience Exxon, Mobile, BP, Texaco and Shell have been the ones who have not required codes but it varies by State and location. Hard to avoid in southern CA and AZ, not so often in the northern States, but mixed in the East.

I've tried the 'all zeros' and converting post code to zip with zeros and it does not work. Often my accent lets me fill up without having to get my cc pre-authorised, but its still a PIA to have to wait in the line with people who can't decide if they want a slusshie, a corn dog or a lottery ticket, decide none of them and then insist on paying a $1.23 bill by credit card!!

Chip and PIN is much better, and its no wonder the US has such high levels of cc fraud still using swipe technology.

Oh and yes, last visit to Canada it was the same too in many locations in BC and Alberta, but maybe moved on since 2011?

Edited: 12 July 2013, 07:44
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,783 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

I have to agree that our recent experiences are pretty similar to Valiant's response. We don't pay too much attention to the gas station brand, more the price and find that each place can be different with regard to prepaying. Often I go into the gas station while DH attends to the pump, and yes that British accent can make a difference - but you will end up at the back of the line, even if you wish to pay cash. Definitely a PITA that the USA needs to address!

SWT

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

Although I certainly understand the problems for non-US residents, I don't quite understand why it's a hassle for US residents? When I buy fuel in another state, I have no problem entering my zip code as it only takes 5 seconds :-)

We had our commerical card stolen once and somebody racked up $350 on it within hours. Fortunately, the company reversed the charges, but if the thief had been required to put our zip code in, the card would have been denied.

If somebody is concerned about "data mining", they should stay far, far away from the internet!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

I had my card ripped off a few years ago. The credit card company almost immediately flagged it though and, ironically, stopped me from purchasing gas a few hours later. I don't mind the zip code entry. I mean, paying at the pump takes all of a few seconds, what's another second to take another way to rip you off away from meth addicts? Still faster than standing in line.

For non-US residents, you just have to go in to the station and tell the attendant. Or, even better, some stations have attendant call buttons.

If it's any consolation, American debit cards only seem to run as credit in Canada, and I've had a number of problems with paying at the pump at fuel stations there, and have typically had to go inside about 50% of the time.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas-up Hassle in U.S. by Canadian Traveller

I wonder why Canadian, Brit, and European cc companies don’t provide 5 digit numbers for customers traveling in the US? Whether they would be actual US zips, or merely plausible zips, or any five number sequence, whether all their customers would have the same zip or they’d distribute a range of numbers to foil thieves shouldn’t matter as far as the approval process goes.

The gas pump computer isn’t going to know – it just knows that the credit card company approves the five digits you provide. If your company tells you they’ll approve 12345 [General Electric headquarters in Schenectady New York] no Exxon pump in Wyoming will get suspicious.

<< … its still a PIA to have to wait in the line with people who can't decide if they want a slusshie, a corn dog or a lottery ticket, decide none of them and then insist on paying a $1.23 bill by credit card!! >>

This drives me nuts. What really puts me over are the gazillion different brands of cigarettes and the finicky and particular addicts who kill blocks of time choosing between them. Decades ago when I struggled to quit smoking I’d get within a hair of rooting around in gutters gleaning butts. These people are bogus; they’re addicts like I was. Tell them there’s only one brand, take it or leave it, and they’ll have to indenture their firstborn for a pack of it – they’ll jump for it.