We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

We are planning our first long road trip since...ever. We need to deliver our daughter's car to her in Miami, so it's not really too much about sightseeing than it is finding the best way to go, with the best places to stop.

The biggest problem I am having at this point is finding a website (or using the website properly) to break the trip into manageable sections. I've found plenty of ways to enter destinations and get info along the way, but we need to have a realistic idea of how far we can go in a day. I'm sure I'm just missing something, but somewhere there must be a site where you can enter how many hours you want to drive, and then get some kind of reasonable idea of where to stop.

Any suggestions?

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

Hi macjack,

I've not yet encountered a website or app that will allow you to do what you're asking to do. That doesn't mean that they don't exist; if they do, I just haven't seen one.

For me, I generally use Google Maps as my planning tool. One thing to know, however, is that Google Maps (and I'm sure others like MapQuest), uses the speed limits along the route to calculate driving times.

This means that stops for food, fuel, rest breaks, or sightseeing, and delays for weather, traffic, and construction, are not in your calculations.

If Google Maps shows it taking 10 hours to drive 650 miles, that means you need to maintain a speed of 65 mph for the entire 10 hours. But if you stop for an hour for lunch, another hour for dinner, and say another hour for a couple of rest breaks and a refueling, that adds three hours to your trip, and gives you an effective average speed of 650 miles / 13 hours = 50 mph.

So now you can work the problem backwards and say that you only want to drive 8 hours per day, and using an average speed of 50 mph, that means that I'll travel 400 miles in that day. You can then estimate on the map where 400 miles along your route will land you.

Of course there are variables that can affect that calculation.

If you're a heavy-footed driver and routinely exceed the speed limit by 5 or 10 mph (not advised), then you could bump your effective average speed up to 55 or 60 mph.

If you're in the wide open spaces of the west where the speed limits are 70 - 80 mph, you can also bump up your effective average speed there, too.

If you're going through a lot of cities along your route, you may find that 50 mph might be right, especially if you're in rush hour traffic.

Here's a map of the maximum speed limits on rural Interstate highways in all 50 states. Now that just shows the maximum, and it doesn't mean that that maximum applies to all highways in the state. If I recall when I drove through Texas just over a year ago, only select portions of the Interstates had 80+ mph speed limits. The rest had something less.

iihs.org/laws/mapmaxspeedonruralinterstates.…

I hope that makes your planning a little easier.

Zed

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

Thanks, Zed. That does help, in part to let me know that what I'm looking for may not exist!

Seems as though it would be a really helpful addition to some road trip planners, though! I will use your info to start with some more research, though.

But I'll also try another tactic here-

Has anyone done a similar route and have some useful ideas? I did do a search here and haven't found much useful info yet.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 00:19
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,522 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

hi

try the AAA (american automobile association) web site and their travel planning TripTik package. It takes a while to learn some of the tools but once learned it has a consolidation of a lot of travel info on the same site. It is much better then when I first used it 4 yr ago. I found it using my local (state/province) association web site so can not give you a link that will work for sure but you can try this.

ww2.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjects.dll/AAAOnline…

Seattle...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

I've been looking for the same thing.

What I've found so far is https://trips.furkot.com/

You can put in what time you want to start driving and what time you'd like to stop and it will map it and suggest hotels in the area. I'm still working with it, it's okay - but would love to hear if there is something better out there.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

Thanks, all! I have gone on the AAA site already, and it has some awesome features, but you still have to enter each destination, and I'm not sure what each destination should be.

I did see furkot mentioned before; I'll give it a try. Otherwise, I will just work out the mileage as mentioned by Zed, but assuming that it will likely take longer than they suppose.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

How long are you planning for this trip? It easily can take a week but I've seen people on the boards doing it much faster. Personally I'd rather take I40 over I10. Won't make much difference in time. With an averare speed of 55 mph (realistic with stops on your way) it's app 55 hours between Oakland and Miami. I'd drive longest stretch first day app 10 hours between Oakland and Kingman.

Tet

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

Thanks Tet- I was wondering about the 2 routes. All the route planners show the southern route on 10, but I was thinking that the more northern one on 40 might be less boring, as long as it isn't really longer.

We were hoping to do it in 5 days.

8. Re: Road trip apps help (for an Oakland CA to Miami trip)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:20