We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

Seattle...
12 posts
Save Topic
la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

hey everyone on trip advisor, ive recently relocated to the states and left my dog back home. my friend is flying over with my dog end of august. its a big dog, french mastiff like in "turner&hooch".

im living in seattle, they land in LA. i flying over there same day they land, renting a car and driving to seattle where the car the due to return 9 days later. we want to do magic mountion, drive along the coast to san fransisco(spend there a day), then drive east to yosimitti park, going north to lake tahoe,through crater lake, and then to seattle in the best way with the time we will have left.

i know its a lot to do and see in 9 days.. any idea will be helpful!!! we r not into museums and restureunts, more landscapes. dont forget we have a big dog with us.

the dates r 28.8- 5.9

thx u all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
64,527 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

Yosemite is not pet friendly; it's wild animal friendly.

Does 28.8-5.9 mean Aug 28 - Sept 5? That includes the busy Labor Day holiday.

Where will you board the dog while you're on rides at Six Flags Magic Mountain? Stay a night? Then drive the winding coast road to San Francisco (3 more nights) to Yosemite (can only walk on paved trails) and to Lake Tahoe. That's about a week right there, but you only have 8 nights.

You really need to re-work your wish list. You can't see and do it all. I think sticking to the coast and avoiding National Parks makes more sense, but it's your trip. What is most important to you?

Seattle...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

i understand thats a lot, they land at 9 am, we found a nice place for the dog next to the park for few hours, pick the dog nack in the evening and start heading north on the beach(no need spend time in LA),trying to get SF lets say after two days(after monterey,the castle& etc), one days in SF then heading to yosemitti on 9.1, two days in the park then one day lake tahoe one day crater lake... cant work??? im trying :))

Seattle...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

what do u mean by not pet friendly?

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,527 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

Pets are only allowed on a few paved trails. They are not allowed on any dirt trails. They are not allowed off trail anywhere. They are allowed in a few campgrounds. They must be attended at all times. They must be on a leash no more than 6' long. They cannot use the free shuttle to get around the Valley.

Pets in Yosemite: nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm

The biggest problem is that pets disrupt the native wildlife.

Also, Labor Day holiday weekend is very crowded in Yosemite.

============

Try to build an itinerary. Here are some ideas:

Wed Aug 28 ~ arrive LAX. Get dog. Begin drive? Stay in ___.

___(date) Head up coast. Hearst Castle (are you allowed to leave a dog in your car while you go on the bus up to Hearst Castle for the tour?) Stay in ___.

Fri Aug 30 ~ begin holiday weekend

Sat & Sun ~ some lodgings may require a two night reservation. Most lodgings will be full.

Mon Sept 2 ~ Labor Day. Roads will be crowded as folks head home.

__. Find pet friendly lodging in San Francisco.

__. Drive to Yosemite NP. Drive around some of Yosemite Valley and walk on paved bike path with the dog. (I think the bike path is okay.) Drive up to Glacier Point. Stay __. (some lodgings book up a year in advance.)

__. Drive through Tuolumne Meadows, stopping to enjoy the view. No hikes possible. Continue to Tioga Pass Entrance and head to Hwy 395. Go north to Lake Tahoe. Stay ___. Need a day to enjoy the lake?

__. Long drive to Crater Lake. (What are the dog policies?) Stay __ . Any time to see the lake?

__. All day drive up I-5 to Seattle.

==========

Crater Lake:

- Pets must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet or in a crate.

- Pets are allowed on roads, established parking areas, Grayback Road, developed campgrounds, and designated picnic areas.

- Pets are not allowed in the backcountry, or on any trail within the park (including hiking trails).

- Pets are not allowed in any federal building.

- Pets can not be left unattended or tied to an object

Seattle...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

tnx!!! very helpful!!!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
64,527 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

I just read this Subaru Drive magazine article and noticed that it had some information relevant to your trip: drive.subaru.com/sum13_touring.aspx?page=1 The author drove southbound for your section (along with many more miles) and had a dog with him. He found a dog-friendly trail at Crater Lake.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

Hi,

You don't say where "back home" is, but you may want to read the following documents about the requirements for bringing dogs into the U.S. if you haven't already done so:

www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/dogs.html

cbp.gov/linkhandler/…pets.pdf

I'd hate to see your dog get quarantined unnecessarily if the documentation isn't in order.

Zed

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

I would skip both Yosemite and Crater Lake for several reasons -

1. Both will be insanely crowded during your time. You will not be able to find accommodation anywhere near Yosemite (including the towns an hour away such as Mariposa.)

2. The previously mentioned restrictions on dogs in national parks.

3. The heat. You're visiting areas that will be having (probably) the highest heat of the year. The valley floor at Yosemite (if you can even get there with the crowds) can reach 90F/33C easily - not good for dogs in cars. Crater Lake can be even hotter.

I'd stick to the coast, and spend more time in the Redwoods and along the Oregon coast. The redwoods are spectacular and the Oregon coast is one of the US' most scenic regions. Do yourselves and your dog a big favor.

http://www.petswelcome.com/

http://www.dogfriendly.com/

Seattle...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

i thought bout going all the way on the coast.. just want to see as much as possible... ://

tnx for the help!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,580 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: la to seattle in 9 days!! plz help!!!

You get your dog and then stick him/her in a kennel while you go ride roller coasters and then go to places with tons of people, cars and buses?? My recommendation is get your dog and spend time where he/she can be reacquainted with you in less CRAZY places.