We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Mexico/Utah picnic spot tomorrow?

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
New Mexico/Utah picnic spot tomorrow?

Hey, western roadtrippers--I need a quick suggestion. We're on our road trip now. Tomorrow we're driving from Santa Fe to Moab and we want to stop for a picnic lunch (yes, that means we ate a lot of good meals in Santa Fe and need to lighten up a bit!).

I'm thinking we'll take 550 to 491 since we took 84 most of the way here. Can anyone suggest a scenic place to stop along the way? I'm thinking northwest of Farmington. I don't see much public land enroute that would indicate a nice place to stop.

Thanks in advance (trip report is being written off-line each evening and I'll upload it when we get home in August, but the short report is that we're having a great time!)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Mexico/Utah picnic spot tomorrow?

Just after turning off the 550 at Bloomfield the Salmon Ruins would make a interesting stop...Or continuing down the 64 a bit I recall a nice little park with tables ...It's just behind the Sheriffs substation(safe) One turns off to the left on the access road & stop light at the prominent race track structure ... Hope you enjoyed Santa Fe ...Happy trails... carracar

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Mexico/Utah picnic spot tomorrow?

Maybe in Farmington along the river.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Mexico/Utah picnic spot tomorrow?

Thanks for the suggestions. We ended up eating while driving so we would have a bit of time to see the Needles District of Canyonlands NP. It was beautiful in the rain--well worth giving up a picnic for!

Carracsr--we liked Santa Fe a lot. It is a very interesting, beautiful area. No baseball on Friday night as planned due to the rain, but we enjoyed a cool evening.

4. Re: New Mexico/Utah picnic spot tomorrow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 06:21