We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Los Angeles, CA to Monroe, LA

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Topic
Road Trip from Los Angeles, CA to Monroe, LA

Hi Everyone!

My brother and I will be driving from Los Angeles to Monroe, LA to get him situated at his new college. We can take up to 6 days, but he must arrive in Monroe by the end of the day on Sun., Sept. 1. I THINK our total budget will be roughly $2000.

What should we see? Where should we stay/eat? He's 18 and moving away from home for the first time. I want to make this trip as fun as possible so that he can have lots of good memories for those times when he feels lonely.

This is our first road trip and our first time in this part of the country. It's hard to know what's worth seeing and what to pass on. We'd like to see places like The Grand Canyon (is it worth it if we won't stay to hike/camp there?) and Carlsbad Caverns, and stop for photo ops at places like Four Corners, the "World's Biggest (fill in the blank)," etc.

We're open to whatever you think is worth seeing (museums, local fare included). We don't mind wandering a few hours out of the way to see something really great.

Also, is there any advice you can give for first-time road trippers? My plan was to find lodging whenever/wherever we felt tired. Should we plan ahead instead to make sure we can find a decent place to sleep?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles, CA to Monroe, LA

You can drive the I-15 I-40 to Kingman and the "Old Rt 66" to near the South Rim of GCNP on a long day one...Spend day two at the Park ... Remaining for sunset at Desert View , continue in the 64 out to the 89 spending the night in Flagstaff or perhaps in Holbrook at the Unique Wigwam Motel... Do not go anywhere near the bogus 4X tourist trap !... On day ,.driving through Albuquerque turn on the 285 South, to Roswell for the night... buy some "Alien" stuff to decorate the dorm room ! Day four, down to Carlsbad & the Caverns... Stay for the evening "bat flight", Spend the night back in Carlsbad proper. Next AM, drive the 62 to Hobbs ... gain the I-20 ... Its "White Line Fever" to Monroe... Drive the endless I-10 return ... carracar

Edited: 29 July 2013, 04:04
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,221 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles, CA to Monroe, LA

My cousin went to NLU, now UL-M (just assuming that's the college). Monroe is an unfortunate part of Louisiana.

This is really a 3-day drive, at a minimum. So 6 days will give you a little bit of time. $2k should be plenty of money, provided you're not planning on getting $100 lunches every day. You're welcome to just sort of stop whenever you feel like stopping. You'll spend a little bit more, and you do run the chance of hitting some event or other situation like a major construction project that sucks up all of the motel rooms in a town. September is a bit late for that though. You also run the risk of coming across some pretty terrible motels. But that may be a plus, since it sort of adds to the overall experience, and has been removed in the days of immediate information.

Grand Canyon is a good idea. Totally worth it if you don't hike. It would be great to overnight there if you could get a reservation at one of the lodges, or even stay in Flagstaff for the night (great college town). Four Corners is extremely lame and, if you also want to visit Carlsbad Caverns (definitely NOT lame), it's pretty far out of the way.

Honestly, I-20 is a pretty sorry stretch. Midland, Abilene, Fort Worth, Shreveport, etc. Dallas has a lot going on just because it's a large city, and you could end up having a really good time there. There's always something going on. You just have to pick up an indie weekly paper and look.

I would also try to spend a bit of time in Albuquerque. Maybe check out the Acoma Pueblo west of there. You'll pass the tepee hotel in Holbrook and a really tacky "trading post" at the AZ/NM state line on the way. That old Route 66 stretch is much more interesting from a roadtrip perspective than many other routes across the country, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to stay on it for a while, even though it's out of the way.

Hope that helps.

3. Re: Road Trip from Los Angeles, CA to Monroe, LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 05:16