We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls to Boston

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara Falls to Boston

Hi,

Myself and my husband are visiting the US in mid September for an East Coast Road Trip and would appreciate help with 1 leg of our trip.

We plan to drive from Niagara Falls to Boston and have allowed for a 1 night stay en route. We would like somewhere in Vermont. We like nice scenery, lakes, mountains etc. hoping for a quaint B&B. It would be a Monday into Tuesday stay.

We would also like to take the most scenic route considering the time of year and don't mind driving a bit off route to see something extra special.

Any suggestions of a town visit and/or place to stay and if possible the best route to follow?

Many thanks

NMc

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,542 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls to Boston

The wife & I drove & enjoyed the 20, over three days, last September... I'll suggest the Pittsfield MA. area for a last night before Boston... carracar

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls to Boston

Vermont is not really on the way. That said, if you want Vermont, I think the Bennington area is a good choice. It's very green, pleasant and full of goofy craft shops and dairy farms, just as you'd expect Vermont to be. And it's not too far out of the way.

US 20 is a great alternative to the Thruway, if you have the time. I would suggest, as a route, going north from Niagara Falls to Fort Niagara on the US side (no bridge to Niagara on the Lake, unfortunately), then following the "Lake Road" to Lake Ontario State Parkway, into Rochester (nice town in spite of its reputation) and down to the Finger Lakes and US 20 at Canandaigua. Not to minimize the inland though, as the Erie Canal and the apple farms offer their own charm. Lockport is a nice enough town.

Good luck.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls to Boston

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I know we are going out of the way to see Vermont but hear it's, so would like to try and cover as much as we can.

4. Re: Niagara Falls to Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:20