We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car ,Bus or Train in Europe in December ?

Polokwane, South...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car ,Bus or Train in Europe in December ?

We plan a tour from the 1st of Dec to the 12 bus are not sure with what to travel Car , Bus or Train ?

The trip will start in Vienna to Salzburg to Munich to Innsbruck to Lucerne and the maby down to Venice and then back to Vienna.

Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car ,Bus or Train in Europe in December ?

Trains! You would not want to drive in snowy conditions that time of year.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,646 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car ,Bus or Train in Europe in December ?

Easy cities for train travel as Tet noted. Will be a very enjoyable journey.

Have fun.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,977 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car ,Bus or Train in Europe in December ?

Hi

Yes, while we would love to suggest you do a road trip, for the places you wish to visit, a train would be so much more suitable. However, please may I offer some advice:

With only 11/12 days, and some great cities listed, you already have a crowded itinerary, I don't recommend adding Venice unless you skip somewhere else.

For the best advice on everything to do with the cities on your list, post on each city destination forums where you should get lots of great help. Here's a link to the Vienna forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g190454-i147-Vienn…

As you will be travelling in early December, do look out for the wonderful Christmas markets in several of those places, and don't forget to take warm clothes and wrap up well as you will want to spend a lot of time outside, whatever the weather. Apart from Lucerne which can be windy with the lake, all those cities make really great winter visiting in my view.

For travel to connect up each city, also ask on the Train Travel forum, they will tell you the best way to buy train tickets for cheapest prices, and which train services to use. Here's a link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Have a great trip,

SWT

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,550 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car ,Bus or Train in Europe in December ?

For train travel you should have a look at this site http://www.seat61.com/

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car ,Bus or Train in Europe in December ?

Hi,

I couldn't agree with SWT more. You're being over ambitious.

With 6 cities and only 12 days, that means you can only have 2 days in each city, and that doesn't count for the travel time before them. Really, you'd only have 1.5 days or less per city.

I spent 1-4 December 2012 in Vienna and used pretty much every minute of those 4 days. I also spent 3 days in Munich.

I would look at spending time in 3 cities, tops, for the time that you have, and definitely take the train between each.

Zed

6. Re: Car ,Bus or Train in Europe in December ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:18