We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

Me and my best buddy are planning to do a road trip during Thanksgiving 2013 . We are planning it over 4 days (Thursday - Sunday) . We will fly over from San Diego to our starting point on Wednesday Night and then start our journey from Thursday. We are not planning to stop at many places. Our main aim is to have a trip which we will remember over a lifetime, a sort of thing that you do only with your best buddies. We both are very experienced drivers. . I am more of a scenic beauty, scenic drive guy. We just want to drive and stop once in a while, not much of a sightseeing.

I was looking at the following options :

1. Boston - San Diego

2. Chicago - San Diego

But, I am not sure about the weather in Northeast/Midwest during Thanksgiving as I have never been in that part of USA, (Apart from Chicago during summer). I have already been to CA, AZ, OR, WA, ID, WY, UT, CO, Montana, NV.

I would really appreciate some inputs on this ? What routes to take ? Where to stop ?

If anyone suggest a 4 day road trip during thanksgiving time ( in which me and my best buddy would just like to drive ), not much of a sightseeing.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

Are you talking about driving from Boston to San Diego in 4 days? No, I would not recommend that. Even Chicago to San Diego in 4 days leaves you with virtually no time. 33 hours (according to Mapquest) with no stops, so 33 / 4 = a little over 8 hours per day of driving. Why even do this?

Pick something more realistic. Maybe shoot out to Arizona or up to San Francisco.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

Hi and welcome to the forums, amansohi. So you guys just want to drive? Okay!

Umm, I'd probably pick a starting point somewhere closer to San Diego. New Mexico maybe?

Remember that flights and airports take up a lot of time - are your flight days in addition to the four days drive?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

Experienced drivers can make it from Chicago to San Diego with four days. Boston is really hard in five.

You will want to get started at a reasonable hour. You’ll have sufficient time for showers and breakfast, and then need to get to it. You’ll have time to stop for gas, occasionally stop at an overlook to catch a view. You’ll have time for a Denny’s type sit down lunch. But basically, in November, with days being shorter, you’ll be homing in each night in the dark at your selected hotel or motel. It needn’t be terribly late, but we’re probably talking 7:00 pm or so. At least you’ll gain two hours on the clock driving back home.

That will be it.

It can be a fun guy thing. You’ll get some giggles. Mostly you’ll just want pizza and a couple beers in the hotel room because you really don’t want to be partying too much and then driving again.

You could see some weather. It’s iffy. And you really want to be on top of it. That’s lots of blizzard prone territory from Illinois to Utah. I would know how to circumvent most storms. It can be extra work. Do you know how it’s done?

I’m curious about the vehicle. Will you be renting a car? Many companies charge nasty fees for such distant drop-offs.

I guess I would overnight at Lincoln, Nebraska, Denver, Cedar City, Utah and then home to San Diego. It would be important for me to drive through Colorado in daylight. If you catch a storm, you might dip south fast for I-40 or even I-10. Now we’re adding hours. I-40, I guess I’d do Springfield, Missouri, Amarillo, Texas, and Phoenix last night out. That Saturday drive will be long. You could stop in Holbrook in Arizona which is pretty small.

If weather forced me deep, deep, south, I guess I’d try Joplin, Missouri, Midland, Texas, and Tucson, Arizona. Even more work.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,800 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

hi

Road trips, most people have no understanding; having done such things i recommend that you stay in the south so you can avoid snow. This map http://goo.gl/maps/OAy3Q is a suggestion for Miami to San Diego

this route will give you about 12-13hr days. I picked this one since you do not have Florida and Texas on your list of places visited; it also includes New Orleans. the route outlined goes via Dallas but you could also go via Houston- San Antonio.

One of my traveling buddies saying was "We are doing this so we talk about it later" and you will....

Other stuff: GasBuddy app to know where to fill up. Buying a GPS is a good investment if you do not have one; AAA membership is a good idea they have great maps.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

Thanks for the suggestions and insights. I am still deciding on the trip.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,441 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

Well, driving from Boston or Chicago to San Diego is perfectly possible with just 4 days, tons of road warriors probably do it all the time. However, as a way of spending a Thanksgiving vacation, I rather feel it will be memorable for the huge amount of Interstate flat top you will see out of the windshield! But that's my view, as long as you know, just go right ahead and do it and enjoy it!

Also, do note that you will have heft one way rental fees to pay for, unavoidable for that long route I expect.

SWT

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

On Thanksgiving Day, you might find many businesses closed. If you are anywhere near a big city on Black Friday, look out ;-)

8. Re: Suggestions for Road Trip (Thanksgiving 2013)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 06:18