We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

nyc boy
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

friends - i have 11 full days to capture as much as i can...i land with my girlfriend in seattle on Sept. 16th and leave from vegas on the 27th - so would like to be in vegas late on 26th.

if it makes a diference can land in oregon/vancouver/calgary but i guess that in terms of paying minimal "one way fee" to the rental agencies seattle is ideal.

my goal is to have a good mix between scenery, nature, short distance hiking, and driving in nice routes.

must sees: canadian rockies (calgary, lake louise, banf, jasper); napa valley; route 1; all else is flexible - but obviously i have the passion to get a bit of as many "cant be missed" places...

thanks allot!

roy

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

Sorry but I don't think your current plan is feasible, starting in Seattle and then heading into Canada for Jasper/Lake Louise etc before heading down to San Franciso, LA and Las Vegas is a trip of around 3,000 miles which means you'll spend most of your time simply driving.

Have you got your flights to Seattle, from Las Vegas booked as this will limit your options.

nyc boy
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

thx. the only thing booked is the return on the 27th from vegas. on the eve of 15th i will depart from nyc to any destination i like and start my 11 day trip from there.

canadian rockies was always a dream for me...so wanted to cover it one way or the other. maybe i shld fly nyc-calgary on 15th eve, calgary-sfo on the 20th, and then more comfortably drive sfo-vegas through route 1...? i thought that driving seattle of san fran would be an amazing trip but maybe i'm really pushing it too much?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

I would consider flying from NY to Vancouver or Calgary, renting a car and doing a one way road trip to the other city depending on which works out best for flights.

Then fly to San Francisco and have a short trip down Highway 1 to LA before heading over to Las Vegas.

That might just work but it will still be a bit rushed for my taste as I could comfortably spend all 11 days on either the Canada or US part of this trip .

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

I think Toms idea is a good one, but I'd just do a drve out of Calgary to avoid the one way fee, or Edmonton if its just the Rockies.

Worth noting for us foreigners its next to impossible to get a long distance one way rental from Canada to USA. Only Hertzs recently and at stupid prices.

Fly to Calgary, Drive in one hit to Jasper, then back down Icefields Parkway exploring a bit. 10 nights.

1. To Calgary early, drive to Jasper.

2. Jasper.

3. Jasper to Lake Louise area.

4. Lake Louise to Banff.

5.Banff.

6. Fly Calgary to SF.

7. SF.

8. Sf to Monterey.

9. Monterey to Cambria down Hwy 1.

10. All day to Vegas, via Bakersfield..

11. Fly home.

Not much time in Vegas there!, so maybe just the one night in Jasper?

Edited: 02 August 2013, 09:07
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

Just to add, I meant Edmonton to Calgary one -way, as an alternative.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

If you want to make it a roadtrip I'd skip Canada and drive to Yellowstone and GTNP and south to Las Vegas via Bryce and Zion. 11 days already will be tights for this though. SW Canada deserves a seperate trip on its own imo.

nyc boy
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

ok, so here's what i'll do:

land in calgary on the night of 15th - do round trip to calgary and fly out of calgary on the eve of the 20th - to san fran. then i'll have 6 full days to travel from san fran to vegas.

that being the case, where shld i stay (accomodation) on the 16, 17, 18, 19 (15th i'll stay at calgary) assuming i follow Valiantsontour steps 1-5 above?

also, once i am land in san fran, what's the best plan assuming that on the 6th night i will arrive in vegas?

thx allot friends - this is all extremely helpfull

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

Napa is north of San Francisco. If you want to visit wineries I suggest Paso Robles on your way to Las Vegas close to Cambria.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

Hi again.

Ok, if you have a night less in the Rockies, I would have 2 nights in Jasper and 2 nights in Banff, as long as you flight from Calgary to SF is late enough to drive there from Banff.

Its a very scenic drive and as your driving the Icefields Parkway twice, then maybe the sights south of Saskatchewan Junction, Peyto Lake, going north and those North on the way back. On the full day in Jasper, Mount Edith Cavell and Angel Glacier in the morning and Jasper NP in the afternoon.

Then 93A. Athabasca Falls, Sunwapta Falls and Athabasca Glacier on the way to Banff.

And Bow Valley Parkway, Lake Louise and Moraine on the full day in Banff, if not the Gondola etc, on the full day out of Banff.

Here is our trip blog of our last trip, might give you some ideas, days 9-14.

wmtravellers.com/trip-reports/…

If you have five nights from SF to Vegas, then either an extra night in SF then as my plan, or Cambria to Lone Pine or Ridgecrest, and a drive to Vegas through a roasting Death Valley. Or just break the drive at say Bakersfield or Tehachapi, for more time at the winery ; ).

Edited: 02 August 2013, 19:20
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,257 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 days road trip: seattle-cabadian rockies-rt 1-vegas

Icefields Parkway map.

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit38.aspx