We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

4 posts
Save Topic
Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

Road Trip With My Wife And Son And Want Ideas Of Places To See Along The Way. I Don't Want To Stray Too Far Off The Path And I Want To Treat This As Fun Rest Stops.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

As I suggested in your post on the Texas forum, people need more information from you to try to help you. How many days do you have for this trip? When are you traveling? What are your interests? Do you already have a route in mind, or would you like suggestions? What's fun for you? You can't expect people to just lay out the trip for you without you providing any details.

Depending on how you go, any of these places could be in play--Nashville, Memphis (Graceland), Little Rock (Clinton Presidential Library and Hot Springs NP), Dallas with Sixth Floor Museum and Bush Presidential Library, Fort Worth with Stockyards National Historic District, NASA in Houston, New Orleans, San Antonio, Big Bend National Park, Guadalupe Mountains NP, Carlsbad Caverns NP.

Please and thank you work well, too.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 18:40
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

I plan on driving through South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas. Im driving all interstate unless there is something along the way that i can take an exit to go see thats not TOO far off of the beaten path. We are looking at taking 3 days tops to get to El Paso and we like anything unique to the area. We are traveling August 13th. Route suggestions would be ok too.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

3 days to get to El Paso will leave you with no time to do anything. The drive alone is 27 hours, without stops along the interstates. So you're looking at about 9 hours per day of driving.

If you're okay with 13-hour days, then there are a few points of interest in the cities along the route, namely in Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas and Fort Worth. Vicksburg is also famous for its role in the Civil War.

When I've done trips like this though, I've just picked interesting place to stay the night, then tried to find some things to do in the evening there, but usually just eat and then go to the hotel. 9 hours per day of driving for three days is just going to wear you down.

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

We made the trip before but didnt have time to do anything because my son was too young, I was driving a rental truck and had two dogs with me haha. We plan in leaving at 8am and finding a place to stop at around 10 or 11 at night so we will have plenty of time. Im in the Military and according to an "estimate" they gave me, they expect me to take 6 days to get down there and are paying for 6 days of gas, food and lodging so if I wanted to i could stretch it to 6 days but my wife is excited to see her family in Texas so haha.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

Hey Goomba,

I’m guessing this is a military relocation. It’s a three day drive. Google Maps tells me 25 hours; take I-95 down to Florence, where you pick up I-20 and take it all the way until it merges with I-10 in West Texas. You get the bonus of a couple hours gain on the clock and days are still pretty long in August.

If you really want to do any sightseeing, you need to make it four days. Then maybe you could pick a midpoint destination to do something interesting.

It wouldn’t be impossible, if you guys has a real attraction for some alternative route, to give it the couple extra hours and just do it. For example, at the cost of two extra hours, you could arc south from Atlanta and take I-10 through Baton Rouge, Houston and San Antonio. Not that I suggest it, just saying a family could do it.

Sticking to the main route, I guess you could overnight at Tuscaloosa, and near Dallas. It divides things pretty evenly. If you got the energy, can get up and rolling pretty fast in the mornings, and are willing to not arrive at your motels until about 7:00 in the evening, there would be time, for each of those three days, to pick one interesting place to take an hour or so break.

Vicksburg, Mississippi will be number one. It’s historic and pretty. Maybe there’s something you want to stop to see in Atlanta. The places I think are most interesting on your third day are pretty close to El Paso anyhow.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

Ha, I was military. Back in the day, I'd have driven to New Orleans on day one, stayed there five nights and driven to El Paso on day six.

7. Re: Fayetteville, NC -> El Paso, TX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 05:17