We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving tips for the UK for north Americans

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,812 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Driving tips for the UK for north Americans

This is a link to a recent post on the London forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k67226…

It is written by somebody from the USA, based on recent experiences of driving a rental car in the UK. There are plenty of other suggestions and useful comments in the many replies, as well.

While most of the info is very much specific to driving in the UK, a lot of the advice really holds good for folk who live anywhere where you drive on the right, renting a car and driving on the left for the first time. The specific rules of the road, speed limits, etc and some quirks are very much UK-centric, of course. However, I'd say many good tips apply equally for Europeans or those from north America who drive in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa for the first time.

I hope you find it helpful. For those with other tips to share, add them perhaps to the other post as it will always be linked here as well.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving tips for the UK for north Americans

Thanks for cross posting this SWT. I was unaware of the Road Trips forum when I posted the original in the London forum.

monfort

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving tips for the UK for north Americans

Hi SWT,

Great information. Can we add it to the Top Questions section like the "Tips for Driving in the U.S.A." link?

Zed

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving tips for the UK for north Americans

Oh how I wish the Traveller Articles weren't so well hidden:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186216-c9626/United-…

(probably needs some updating now)

4. Re: Driving tips for the UK for north Americans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 05:18