We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip across US with dogs

Sacramento
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road Trip across US with dogs

Hi,

I am planning a 4 week road trip across the US with my fiancee and our two dogs. We will be leaving in late September from California and going across to Maryland and back. We have planned the first portion of the trip up to portland, OR, then over to Yellowstone and making a stop in Sioux Falls, SD. From there Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, all across highway 80/90, through to MD. I so far have no stops planned in any of those areas east of South Dakota....any suggestions?

Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip across US with dogs

Are you concerned about attractions to stop at or Pet friendly, places to stop ??? carracar

Edited: 04 August 2013, 15:43
Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip across US with dogs

If you're planning on visiting national parks, the their rules/regulations on dogs can be quite strict. Definitely check into those.

Sacramento
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip across US with dogs

I suppose more pet friendly places to stop, although I will have vaccination record in case we need to board them for the day (as we will when we go to he Grand Canyon), and since the weather should be relatively cool in October they are ok for a couple of hours in the SUV if we plan on a short visit somewhere.

Sacramento
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip across US with dogs

I suppose more pet friendly places to stop, although I will have vaccination record in case we need to board them for the day (as we will when we go to he Grand Canyon), and since the weather should be relatively cool in October they are ok for a couple of hours in the SUV if we plan on a short visit somewhere.

Sacramento
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip across US with dogs

Thank you... Yes I bought AAAs guide to US travel with your pet and it provides a pretty comprehensive list and I am prepared to board them when necessary :)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip across US with dogs

You need to go to the national park websites to see what facilities and services are open when you arrive. If lodging unavailable inside the parks, you'll need to lodge in adjacent communities; for Yellowstone National Park, that means the communities of West Yellowstone, Gardiner and Cooke City/Silver Gate (in that order of preference).

I'm sure you know, bring clothes for layering, mornings and evenings will be very cold in the Rockies.

Here's the key information for Yellowstone NP closing dates:

Opening/Closing Dates, YNP/NPS nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

Opening/Closing Dates, Xanterra Lodging and other services yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/opening-cl…

As you plan the details of your trip, decide how long you'll need to see each place. For example, I suggest 3 full days for Yellowstone.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 04:21
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip across US with dogs

What are your interests? Are you planning only short stops of a few hours between South Dakota and Maryland? If so, are you only looking for places to walk the dogs?

You should read through this forum for several threads discussing attractions along this itinerary. You might want to consider returning by way of I-70 for another set of attractions.

Red Roof Inns are pet friendly.

8. Re: Road Trip across US with dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:16