We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South portion of Route 66 in Feb/March

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
South portion of Route 66 in Feb/March

Hi Everyone,

Forgive me if this is a question that is asked frequently but I didn't have much luck when I searched the forums.

My wife and I have time off work in February and March and are interested in driving the southern portion of Route 66, flying into St. Louis or further south and starting our roadtrip to LA from there. I realize that many of the attractions may be closed during these months but my main concern is if the roads will be safe to travel on. Would there be road closures due to snow this far south or do these closures only effect the North Eastern states.

Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South portion of Route 66 in Feb/March

Actually, one is more likely to see highway closures... Just West of Amarillo or between Santa Rosa & Albuquerque In Arizona. Winter storms close the I-40 Winslow/ Flagstaff/ Ash Fork... a number of times a year. Usually such events are short lived. Your plans should include a day or two extra ... just in case... I would fly into OK City ... as the longer most interesting historic alingments & attractions begin there ... carracar

Edited: 06 August 2013, 19:38
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South portion of Route 66 in Feb/March

Thanks Carracar - We have 3 weeks to use for our trip so we can set aside a few extra days in case of bad weather. Thanks for the recommendation to start in OK City - I'll check it out.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South portion of Route 66 in Feb/March

I would fly into St. Louis and make the trip in March, the later the better. St. Louis would be a good place to spend a day after arrival sightseeing. Stay downtown near the Gateway Arch if possible. There's plenty to see along Rt 66 in Missouri and the entirety of the route in Oklahoma is filled with places including stretches of the original road in northeastern OK.

The weather of course is unpredictable that time of year. I've traveled In northern Texas, New Mexico and Arizona in March when the weather was fine for days on end--sunny cool days and cold nights. But you can see a cold front and/or rain and you might see some snow. It is unlikely that you'll run into a road closure, but it is possible.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South portion of Route 66 in Feb/March

So with 3 weeks you also can fly Chicago and travel all of R66. But if Chicago is not an option I'd also fly St. Louis. R66 between St. Louis and OKC has plenty of iteresting places.

5. Re: South portion of Route 66 in Feb/March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 06:18