We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I too late to join Burning Man 2013?

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Am I too late to join Burning Man 2013?

Help needed:) I am from South Africa and have just been given the rest of the month off work and thought to myself, 'what a perfect opportunity for me to go to Burning Man!!!' Alas, most preparations are complete and camp space is proving hard to find :(

Does anyone know where I can look for available 'lodging' or a themed camp to join at this last minute? I have read that some people brave it and just show up but I don't think that's too good an idea after the hauling myself across the ocean, then arriving unprepared. Is there perhaps a smaller group of people I could join? Or someone who is prepared and wants to split the costs? Help!!!

I would appreciate any help or advice at this point.... (I haven't bought a ticket yet as I've heard its harder to find somewhere to stay that acquiring a second hand ticket at this stage?) I am pretty easy going, highly comical, and generally love and appreciate everything life has to offer.

Any suggestions?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I too late to join Burning Man 2013?

Hi Tanya

I answered some of your questions on the other post. Later, I'll link some replies I've posted regarding attending BM. As a virgin Burner, please, please may I suggest you do some homework in preparation of your attendance.

Tickets sold out ages ago. There's quite an active black market for second hand tickets, prices are very variable but none are cheap, and if you come across a cheap one, run a mile!

However, what I can tell you is that we saw folk being turned away at the entrance for having bought second hand tickets so their IDs didn't match, others has apparently fake/counterfeit tickets. There are thousands of scams out there, but there are just as many tales of how to score tickets at this late stage and still get in usccessfully. All I can say is just be very careful and enter into any deal with your eyes wide open!

SWT

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I too late to join Burning Man 2013?

Found what I was looking for!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k6647465…

If you follow this link, you will see I replied to a BM post with several different comments. Also, there are a few links there to other BM comments I have made in the past to help VBs make the most of it. I'd add more comments here, but I'm a but busy now, these links are better than no reply for a few days.

Hope you are successful and have a great time.

SWT

Edited: 07 August 2013, 16:54
Denver, Colorado
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I too late to join Burning Man 2013?

Thanks, I'm getting on it now. One question, how does one get around differing ID numbers on a ticket?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I too late to join Burning Man 2013?

I have no idea. We always bought our tickets from the official website and used them!

SWT

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I too late to join Burning Man 2013?

Give this proposal about a 300 day rest ... carracar

6. Re: Am I too late to join Burning Man 2013?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 06:21