We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls to Orlando different route

Thorold, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Niagara Falls to Orlando different route

Just wondering if anyone has taken a different route to orlando. We usually go I90 - I79 - I77- I26 - I95. I was looking for a route that wouldnt take us through the mountains of VA or WVA. The route i was looking at was I90 - I79 - I70 pittsburg - 95 through DC. If anyone has done it this was please let me know if this is better.

Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls to Orlando different route

The 95 through DC during rush hrs. is NEVER better ! ... carracar

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls to Orlando different route

I go to Florida every year, and have done all 3 routes (I95, I77, and I75). For me, anything that keeps me out of traffic is the safest and least stressful, and most enjoyable route. Accordingly, I75 is totally off the list, and my preference is the I77 route, (which is actually shorter than the I95 route) I would rather drive through the mountains of Va and WVa with less traffic, than negotiate the high density Washington/Richmond corridor. That being said, if you can avoid the Washington traffic (say on a weekend or sometime other than rush hour), you might want to consider it, but for me my first choice is usually I77.

I have also taken the Amtrak auto-train, which is a 850 mile direct run from Lorton, Va (Washington) to Sanford, Florida (Orlando). Leaves at 4.00 p.m. and gets you to Sanford by 9.00 the next day. Your car rides on an auto-carrier, and you ride in relative luxury in their passenger coaches. Same times for the northbound trip. Check out their website.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls to Orlando different route

I-77 would be my choice as well. It's just more pleasant. I-75 is always crowded (usually with Ontarians) and heavy on trucks.

But I would suggest you let the road construction projects dictate your route. You can encounter some really bad ones where traffic will go to one lane, or the interstate may be closed altogether. It's worth spending some time and researching it before you head off. That said, things aren't usually posted on the state construction web sites (there's no reliable national database, unfortunately, so you have to check with each state) until a few days before, so you have to keep things somewhat fluid.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,918 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls to Orlando different route

Have driven the Pittsburgh, PA route to Atlanta and south several times. On this route you do have some mountain driving in West VA and areas where there are not a lot of services but do get to see New River Gorge Bridge in West VA which is a very scenic area. We then hit I 75 and come down to Atlanta then continue south on I 75. There are lots of hotels and restaurants all along the route. Have stopped in the Bristol VA/TN area a couple of times.

5. Re: Niagara Falls to Orlando different route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:18