We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

Presteigne, Powys...
2 posts
Save Topic
3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

We are arriving in Detroit in a weeks time to visit friends. We are only staying with them for 2 days and then heading off. Only place we have booked hotel is New York on the first weekend. We plan to leave Detroit and head for Washington and then NY and then north and get to Niagra and then back to Detroit for the labour day weekend which we are spending with our friends on Lake Michigan at Grand Haven. We then have a week left before flying out from Detroit.

There is myself and my wife and our 2 sons 17 and 22, we want to see the sights but also the real USA and eat lots of fresh seafood etc etc. This is our first time in the states and am now thinking 3 weeks will fly by and we won't do as much as we hoped.

Any suggestions for interesting off the beaten track places would be great.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

After Labor Day at Grand Haven I would encourage you to keep driving north along the Lake Michigan shoreline. The beach towns are fantastic. Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore is so beautiful. Spending a few days in the Traverse City area will give you to explore that part of the state. From there I'd say head to Mackinac Island for a few days. You even have time to pop up into the U.P. if a more remote natural area appeals to you.

If you're more city people, instead of Mackinac Island and the U.P., take one of the car ferries across Lake Michigan and drive down into Chicago for a few days before heading back to Detroit for your flight home.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 13:13
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

StableSprite,

Welcome to TA and the road trips forum!

Given the age of your children, you might enjoy Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world, and a couple hours from Detroit in Sandusky, Ohio. Also check out the Lake Erie islands, Blossom Music Center (especially if you like classical music), and Ohio Amish Country in the following travel article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Cleveland offers the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and the Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the best in the U.S. even though it has free admission to its general galleries.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

If you're interested in aviation history, the top attractions in the world would be available to you -- Dayton, Ohio, and the Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum adjacent to Dulles Airport outside of Washington, DC.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Definitely read through this forum for many months, perhaps the last year, checking out relevant threads. There aren't that many as many of the threads deal with the U.S. West.

Top attractions in lower Michigan include The Henry Ford in Dearborn, MI, where I would recommend the Rouge factory tour if production is scheduled, and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, often considered one of the most beautiful locations in the U.S. east of the Mississippi River.

Check out (perhaps use the search engine at the top of this forum), such attractions as Antietam, Monticello, Appomattox, Williamsburg, Mount Vernon, Norfolk and the Battleship Wisconsin, Gettysburg, the National Aquarium in Baltimore, and Ithaca in the Finger Lakes.

Good planning!

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

Hi StableSprite-

As you mentioned seafood (along with sightseeing), thought I'd chime in and suggest that after New York, you might want to head up the coast and stop along the way for great food and sights. A must-see is Newport, RI. It's not only a place famed for its beautiful mansions/historic aspects, it's also a great place to get fresh seafood and take a boat tour. Newport is a sailing mecca and a great opportunity to get out of your car and out on the water! Gansett Cruises offers evening cruises with a champagne toast and seafood dinner at sunset. The people that run these cruises are very friendly and knowledgeable about the area, telling stories and offering advice if you plan to spend more time in Newport.

Other coastal things to check out: Thimble Islands in CT, Mystic Historic Seaport in CT, Boston, the Cape, the islands (all a ferry ride away from the coast/just park and ride) including Block Island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard. If you visit one of the islands, the best plan is to pick one and focus on that. Both Block Island and Nantucket's harbors feature active towns with plenty to see/do, bike rentals, walking-distance beaches, shopping, more seafood choices.

Hope this helps!

Tara

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

I forgot to mention that you should try some of the Great Lakes fish cuisines, especially IMO walleye and fried yellow perch. Some restaurants are much better than others in the quality of their entrees featuring these two fishes.

Presteigne, Powys...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

Thanks for the suggestions. There seems to be so many good and interesting places to go that I think we will have to cut some of the places or we will end up rushing about and not do it justice. Looks like we will have to come again next year.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

I agree - limiting your trip to a reasonable amount of stops/things to see makes it 100% more enjoyable. You'll be able to stop and "smell the roses" and just have fun! Hope your trip is a wonderful one :)

Tara

7. Re: 3 Week road trip leaving from Detroit.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:17