We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip September 2014

australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Road trip September 2014

We are a family of 4 and we are in the planning stages of a 3 week trip next year. We have a very rough itinerary that we are hoping people can offer suggestions to. At this stage we are undecided as to whether to rent a car and do motels and restaurants, or hire a motor home (we are use to camping).

LA 2 nights

Anaheim 4 nights

Santa Barbara or somewhere else on the coast open to suggestions 1 night

San Francisco 2 nights

Yosemite National Park 2 nights

Travel through Tioga pass to Lone Pine 1 night

Las Vegas 2 nights

Zion National Park 1 night

Bryce Canyon 1 night

Monument Valley 1 night

Grand Canyon 3 nights

Scottsdale 1 night

Back to LA

If we go the motor home option would we be better off collecting it after we have done LA and Anaheim.

Are there places in San Francisco and Las Vegas to stay with a motor home?

If we go with a car and hotels is supermarkets readily available near the National Parks?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip September 2014

A couple of comments.

If possible I would try to fit an extra night between Anaheim and San Francisco as that drive really justifies 2 nights - possibly reduce Anaheim from 4 to 3 nights.

Las Vegas - If you opt for hotel rooms then avoid being in LV on Fri/Sat nights as room rates can be 2 or 3 x midweek rates.

Whether a motor home or car/hotel is the better option is a matter of travel style but a motor home is not ideal in cities (San Francisco/Las Vegas) and will use more gas - my personal preference would be the car/hotel option as I find that more comfortable.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip September 2014

3 nights for Grand Canyon NP is long unless you want to make a hike down to the river and back next day but that requires an overnight stay and they sell out one year in advance. If you are sticking to the rim and only hike a short distance below the rim 2 or even one night will be enough. Between Bryce and Monument valley you'll find Page with a lot of things to do (Antelope Canyons, Lake Powell, Horseshoe bend, Glen Canyon dam etc). Fastest way back to Los Angeles from GC will be via I40 and I15 via Kingman and Barstow. You'll find stretches of R66 this way. Half way stop between LA and SF is Cambria. But as Tom said, best to plan 2 overnight stays.

Tet

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip September 2014

I also prefer motels/car. Eats gas and big to lug around the national parks.

To save on food, eat from a cooler. It works well for us. Are there groceries near the national parks? Yes, altho sometime small ones right near the park. Can find larger ones along the way tho.

You could also give one of the GC nights to Zion. In fact-- keep in mind the drive time from place to place. One night does not allow you a lot of time in the parks.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip September 2014

Hi,

Welcome to the Road Trips Forum.

You may want to read this informative article about renting an RV before committing to it:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187230/Califo…

I don't have time at the moment to map your route and check total miles, but note in the article that most RV rental agencies only allow 100-150 miles per day. I suspect your route would exceed that limit and you'd have to pay a per-mile overage fee for each mile over your limit.

Zed

australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip September 2014

Thanks for all the feedback, we have adjusted the itinerary to the following.

We have also decided on hiring a car which we will pick up on our last day in LA and will return in Las Vegas when we arrive and fly back to LA

LA 3 nights

Anaheim 4 nights

Cambria 1 night

Monterey 1 night

San Francisco 3 nights

Yosemite 2 nights

Toga pass to Lone Pine, Lone Pine 1 night

Zion National Park 2 nights

Page 1 night

monument National Park 1 night

Grand Canyon 2 nits

Las Vegas 3 nights

All feed back welcome.

Thanks

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip September 2014

You might want to consider dropping off the car on arrival in San Francisco and picking up another when you're ready to leave - you don't need a car in SF and parking can be expensive.

As far as flights are concerned make sure the Las Vegas to LAX and LAX to Australia flights are all on the same ticket - a separate ticket from Las Vegas to LAX could be a problem if the flight was delayed/cancelled resulting in you missing the flight home.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip September 2014

Lone Pine via Death Valley and Las Vegas to Zion will be a long trip. You will lose one hour between Nevada and Utah and there's a lot to see in Death Valley. Just driving, no stopping already will be some 8 hours.

8. Re: Road trip September 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 07:18