We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

Hi Advisors, me and my wife are planning for a road trip - we are flying to Las Vegas (2 nights) - Grand Canyon North Rim (1 Night)- Los Angeles (4 Nights)- Pacific Coast Drive - Monterey (1 night) - Yosemite (2 nights) - San Fracisco - Fly back to Pittsburgh.

I would love to know you ideas, inputs for which routes to take and what places are must visit on this trip. Like what all places we must stop and visit in between Vegas and GC NR, then from NR to Los Angeles what are must visit points? Then specially on Pacific Coast from Los Angeles to Monterey, which places are breathtaking and the most beautiful ones. Then Monterey to Yosemite to San Francisco ...

This will be our first road trip, so tricks and tips for planning GPS, routes, would be great! Thank you!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,271 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

My first question would be when you are planning to take this trip as the GC North Rim is closed for part of the year - for a 1 night visit to the GCNP between visiting Las Vegas and Los Angeles I would have thought the South Rim was a more logical choice.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

We are landing in Las Vegas on Sept 2, 2013. Just 2 more weeks to go! We are doing North Rim as we heard it is more beautiful and luckily we got a reservation at the NR lodge. Thanks!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,914 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

You already have some great feedback about your too-long-coastal-drive on your California thread.

The Top Questions on the Los Angeles, Yosemite, and San Francisco forums will also help you. I hope you're planning to drop your car as soon as you get to SF.

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

Your drive from LA to Monterey is in my opinion the most scenic portion of the Pacific Coast Highway. This section in referred to as the Big Sur Coast. You won't see much until you get to Cambria, and from then on it will take you all day to get to Monterey. It is a slow drive because of all the curves and stops you will want to make, but will undoubtably be a highlight of your vacation. Make sure your tank if full as this is a very barren trip without gas stations or exits. Most people prefer to drive North to south because the majority of vista point stops are on the west side--It can be a little hairy to cross the oncoming lane because of the curves, but you should be fine. (at least you won't have to worry about driving off the cliffs)

If you've never been to San Francisco, its definately worth spending a night there, preferably near fishermans wharf, and the Golden Gate bridge is a must see, even if your just driving across it. What I usually do is calculate the driving distances between cities using Mapquest or something similar to know just how much driving time you'll have. Portions of highway one can take several hours just to go 50 miles or so. Have fun!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

Do you want to drive between North rim and Los Angeles in one day? That's app a 10 hours drive depending on traffic. Las Vegas-NR already is 5 hours. I'd also add a night between LA and Monterey. That's app 7-8 hours of driving without stops

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

Thank You all! Would you please share some tips for driving from LA to San Monterey, I mean how to go to view points from right side driving, most people do the opposite and are right on the coast, but I'll be on inside ... Are both roads parallel or with dividers?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

Head over to the California forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g28926-i29-Calif…

and read FAQ at the right hand side of the page. Lots of info for hw1.

8. Re: West Coast Road Trip Ideas please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2014, 05:18