We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

South Wales
Level Contributor
239 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

Travelling from Palm Springs to Grand Canyon in October with two overnight stops planned. Want just to see something of AZ and to take in some small town atmosphere en route. First overnight is in Prescott which is about a 4.5 hour drive (via Quartsite) and from there travelling through Jerome and Sedona with the second overnight in Flagstaff. Leaving PS about 10am and thinking now of dropping by Wickenburg for a quick walk through and a bite to eat before hitting Prescott. Is this a worthwhile stop? How much would it add to our journey time?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,425 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

Wickenburg is definitely worthwhile but more than just a drop by. Likewise you're shorting Jerome and especially Sedona, but at least those two are directly on the route.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

I typed Jerome into the search because I want to see Prescott Jerome and Sedona on the way to Flagstaff. We are coming from San Diego and looking for a one night stop before travelling to Prescott and I really want to see Palm Springs but was thinking that Blythe would be a better overnight as we won't be leaving San Diego until around 2pm.

I knew what Redrox's response would be about short changing everywhere, but when there is so much to see and not much time one is left with hard decisions.

In the end it is up to you what you really want to see, and how much compromise you are prepared to make.

Whatever you decide I am sure you will enjoy your trip. I am still prevaricating, and we only have 2 weeks until we leave now.

South Wales
Level Contributor
239 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

Have decided that its best not to be too rigid. Going to keep my options open and see how we feel on the day making as many or as few side trips as we please. If the schedule-becomes too rigid the trip will be like a forced march rather than a holiday. Enjoy yours!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

There's nothing of interest in Blythe unless you are interested in Blythe Intaglios north of town but not much to see there. Palm Springs will make a great stop imo. We always wing it on trips like this in october.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

Tet I know there is nothing of interest in Blythe, it would purely be an overnight stop.

Because of our tight schedule unfortunately we can't "wing it", wish we could

Is it worth driving San Diego to Palm Springs, arriving around 5.30-6.00 pm when we will be leaving at the latest 8am in the morning.

I should mention this would be a Thursday night, their market night.

We need to made Flagstaff Friday night and Sedona is a must but Prescott and Jerome would be nice . I realise this is a drive by and not a road trip.

Sorry to but in on OP forum but the subject is the same.

Thanks

Edited: 24 August 2013, 16:37
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

Palms Springs market is fun and recommended but it will be a long drive to Flagstaff if you go by way of Wickenburg, Prescott, Jerome and Sedona. Between Prescott and Jerome is a mountain drive and slowdriving to Sedona and beyond. Are you taking the"long route" between SD and PS? Via Julian, Borrego Springs, Palm to Pines? That's a great route but much slower than via interstate.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

Tet, as I said this is more a a drive by holiday than a road trip, also we are arriving the weekend after Labor Day so we are also faced with shorter opening hours everyway, eg SeaWorld, at the moment it is open 9am to 9pm but when we get there it opens 10am to 6pm, we have found a lot of places we want to go don't open until 10.

I have done this trip before, albeit 23 years ago, I would prefer to not duplicate it but my husband hasn't and he really wants to see San Diego and Grand Canyon and I agree he really should.

Last trip I gave up my Palm Springs for the family so was hoping to see it this time even if only overnight, but sense tells me we would be better off overnighting in boring Blythe, to give up more time the next day.

Last trip we overnighted at Mesa and then went to Sedona which I really loved, it was the surprise of the trip, driving out of the desert into the magnificence of Sedona and Oak Creek. No internet in those days and I had never heard of it.

Last time I had AAA books to help me plan, which to be honest was a lot easier than using the net.

What if we did Prescott and then drove to Camp Verde and up to Sedona - would that work?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

Check out the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway before you make a decision to skip PS. It's one of my favorite attractions in southern CA.

http://www.pstramway.com/

Long Valley around Mountain Station is magical with its pines and boulders, and Mountain Station may be a good place for dinner if you can get a table with a view.

Don't know how much daylight you'll have left at the time of your visit.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

Prescott to Sedona via Camp Verde will save a little time but you''ll miss a great drive and Jerome.

10. Re: Palm Springs to Prescott via Wickenburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:22