We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US trip

Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Topic
US trip

Looking to fly into NY next June and then cross country to LA in an RV. I realise its dependant on stops etc, but would 2 weeks be enough to cover the distance allowing a couple of days in Vegas?

Not looking to stop more than one night anywhere else.

Cheers

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,374 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US trip

Why are you considering an RV? Did you find a good deal for a cross country delivery? Most RV companies charge extra for every mile over 100 per day.

Have you read the "Should I rent an RV to save money on a road trip?" Top Question on the right side of the page? Any concerns? Have you rented an RV in the past?

Are you the only one traveling?

A car is usually a better experience for a trip that covers so many miles in such a short period of time. It's cheaper, easier, more comfortable, and faster.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US trip

That's a trip of around 2,800 miles or around 250 miles a day which is around 5 hours + driving with comfort stops etc.

RVs can be gas hungry and have a daily mileage limit with extra fees for exceeding the limit as well as one way drop off fees.

It could be done but is likely to be expensive and you wont get to see much except lots of highway tarmac.

NC
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US trip

I agree with the above posts, along with another food for thought. Since you are looking to stay somewhere different every night, think about how complicated it will be to find an RV park/campground and do hook-ups each evening and unhooking everything every morning. Lots of trouble and extra time you could be spending driving.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,110 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US trip

Agreeing. Bad plan. 2 weeks is hardly enough time to get across the continent in an RV, not to mention the cost.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,944 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: US trip

Hi agree with the others, an RV is probably a bad choice. Also does the two weeks include your time iNYC?

Then that will be a short time for a cross country trip in at best, 9- 10 days. Possible but lots of driving, not a great deal of stopping, seeing and doing.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US trip

One more vote for "not a good idea"

You can do it in 2 weeks, to answer your question.

Our question is "why?" Perhaps we can be of more help if we understand the reason behind the trip and what you wish to get out of it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US trip

Hi Piperr1, I've been RVing for many years.

I too have to ask "why" an RV for this trip? They are great for certain types of trips but *not* really for the type you are planning. If you could give us more info we could help you more effectively, I think!

>>think about how complicated it will be to find an RV park/campground and do hook-ups each evening and unhooking everything every morning.<<

Actually, not really. There are *thousands and thousands* of RV parks and campgrounds! Hooking and unhooking water, electricity and sewer lines takes about 15-20 minutes each time (after the first couple of times, lol!) , so no big deal :-)

8. Re: US trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:18