We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

washington road trip

lancs
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
washington road trip

hi

this is a broad outline of what were planning, we are a late 50s couple planning a 3wk trip in october 2013 any suggestions of things to see, mid range hotels and what not to miss along the way ?.starting with a couple of days in washington then on to nashville - memphis - new orleans , then the blue ridge mountatins or the carolinas? back to washington. would like to catch a horse race meeting, football game, also local food , drink and music.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: washington road trip

Hi bacup

Welcome to the road trips forum.

If you have a look on the right at the Top Qs, you will see two topics which cover some suggestions for your trip, the east coast and and the 'deep south' ones.

What do you mean by the Blue Ridge mountains or the Carolinas? Part of the Blue Ridge mountains is with those two states!

With 3 weeks and only wishing a couple of days in Washington, DC, you will have plenty of time to perhaps wend your way slowly towards New Orleans the inland route to include those mountains, but also may I suggest you consider include the Great Smoky mountains NP as well for more scenic mountains and the chance of sighting bears? Then you can head thru Nashville and on to Memphis and Nola.

On your return, I'd suggest you head towards the coast back through Georgia to enable you to visit both Charleston and Savannah, both interesting, different and historic old cities. Then, depending on how much time you have and how keen on US history you are or whether you'd prefer wildlife and open scenery, you can continue north back to DC via either more historic towns, or the coast of Virginia. Both are also possible, depending on whether you're happy to speed up the drives each day.

I know absolutely nothing about horse racing, so cannot help with where this might happen that fits with your route. Regarding the football, I'm assuming you mean NFL and not soccer! For October 2013, some games may already be sold out, and tickets for those with availability will be pricey, but there are several cities you might pass with teams to consider including DC itself, Atlanta and NOLA. See this link:

http://www.nfl.com/

Have a great trip,

SWT

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,060 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: washington road trip

Great ideas from SWT. I too agree to spend some time in the Great Smoky Mts. NP. We like Townsend, TN and it is near the Cades Cove Loop Rd, has some nice lodging and restaurants and is not in the super touristy areas of Pigeon Forge. Make your reservations for this area ASAP as it will be in prime leaf season especially if going on the weekend. A lot of people from throughout the SE head there for a fall weekend getaway.

In Memphis I would stay downtown near Beale Street, Civil Rights museum and Gibson Guitar. You can take the shuttle out to Graceland.

If heading to NOLA then stop in Vicksburg for Civil War history, nice historic downtown area and good food. If time also Natchez for antebellum historic plantations.

In Savannah stay in historic district and spend a bit of time out on Tybee Island. From the historic district you can walk to the riverfront, historic squares, old homes and restaurants. Crystal Beer Parlor is great for lunch and we like the Olde Pink House for dinner.

In Charleston you would need at least 2-3 days. One day be sure and go out to one of the plantations- Magnolia or Middleton.

Let us know if you have other questions!! Good luck with your trip planning.

lancs
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: washington road trip

thanks for the ideas what i meant was to travel part of the blue ridge mountains on the outbound part and then return by a more coastal route through georgia and the carolinas, the smokey mountains ? at which part would they fit in best, apart from washington i was not going to book accomadation would you advise otherwise ?.

as you can probably tell none of this is set in stone

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: washington road trip

Hi.

Having done a version of this earlier this year, From DC to Smokies via BRP, Savannah and Charleston and back up the coast in 3 weeks, (it felt pretty quick in places and as the others will tell you, I'm relatively ambitious on my trips), I think your trying to cram too much in, unless you do it as a one way and cut down your destinations.

If you swapped a bit of Tennesse for my New Jersey stint in AC and maybe a bit quicker down BRP, then I think you will fill 3 weeks with ease, without going further south than Savannah, and if your flying to IAD, I'd leave DC to the end.

1 night west of IAD.

1- 2 nights down some of BRP.

2 nights Nashville.

3 nights Smokies and Asheville.

2 nights Savannah.

2 nights Charleston.

3 nights up the coast, OBX maybe.

3 nights in DC.

leaves 2-3 nights (out of 20) to put in say Atlanta, Baltimore or Philly if that's where the best fitting NFL match is, or go to Memphis if you can fit it into Nashville (Titans) or DC. Will likely depend where your Sundays are in the trip.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 11:35
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: washington road trip

What your suggesting.

1 night west of IAD.

1 night down some of BRP.

2 nights Nashville.

2 nights Memphis.

2 nights NOLA.

2 nights Smokies and Asheville.

2 nights Savannah.

2 nights Charleston.

3 nights up the coast.

3 nights in DC.

A lot of driving and not a lot of time in location on bits of that, but possible if that's the kind of trip you like? You could drop a coast night for an extra one to fit in say the NFL etc.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 11:42
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: washington road trip

I should really have moved the Smokies and Asheville to after BRP in post #5, but anyway, illustrates the pace. You would probably need the extra night between NOLA and Savannah in that case, unless your up for 700 mile day?

Edited: 02 September 2013, 11:51
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,060 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: washington road trip

Good ideas- yes need a night on Gulf coast or near Tallahassee to break up trip from NOLA to Savannah.

lancs
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: washington road trip

hi

does this look ok for the first half of my trip am i missing anything ? am i trying to do much or spending to long on brp( even got the jargon off now ) would like to see some of rural usa and not spend to much time in the cities.

arrive washington 7th oct

2 nts days inn conneticut ave (booked ) 7th / 8th oct

drive to roanoke on brp 1nt

on to ashville or townsend 1nt

on to nashville 1nt

on to memphis 2nts

on to new orleans 3nts (booked ) country inn and suites french quater 14/15/16 oct

thanks brian

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,060 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: washington road trip

Need another night in either Asheville or Townsend if you plan to see any of the Great Smoky Mts. NP. Driving on BRP is slow and beautiful.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: washington road trip

For a football game, consider not only an NFL professional football, but also SEC (Southeastern Conference) university football games. The latter may be more interesting as they are bigger spectacles with bands, more traditions, robust tailgating, etc. ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) university games also are a possibility and, in many locations, may be easier tickets to acquire. Many games already may be sold out. Bring binoculars! Sites such as stubhub.com would allow you to purchase tickets to games that are sold out, but likely at a premium.

Most football games are on Friday nights (especially high school), Saturdays (especially universities), and Sundays (pro football).

If you just want to see the sport, there are many other university and even high school games available. Post in the local destination forums for cities/regions that you will be visiting on weekends for suggestions.