We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Hi everybody, wanted to do this since college , but never got the finances . After 4 years , i finally got the time and money to do something like this , albeit not the right time of the year .Here is what i have , in october. The plan is still sketchy , but thats where i need all the help i can get.

1. 10 days in october , its going to be just me and a rental car.

2. want to see more of the unbeaten path , with some major national parks in between

3. planning to just camp all the time

4.the major question would be is three states out of the question in 10 days , if yes i can do either just montana or wyomingw with utah.

5. how is the weather going to be in the month of october ? i think thats the major question

Please all the travel gurus , drop in your thoughts , and hopefully this trip will be the best.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,423 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Welcome to the forum!!

Montana and northern/higher elevations will be much cooler or really cold at that time of the year. In fact the main road thru Glacier NP shuts down around the third week of September.

Yellowstone NP and Grand Tetons will also be cooler and the later you get in October the greater chance for snow/winter conditions, road closures, etc. Also many of the in park lodging, restaurants and facilities begin to close down by end of September.

You should be able to drive Trail Ridge Drive and see the Rocky Mt. NP which is north of Denver at this time of the year.

If I were doing this trip I might stick with some of the parks in the Grand Circle in Utah and Colorado. Arches, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce should all be nice at this time of the year. Here is a link to info about these parks-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

We've done many of the parks in Colorado and Utah in late September and had gorgeous weather and no large crowds.

Let us know if you have other questions. Good luck with your trip planning!!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Are you planning on driving from St. Louis? If not, then what's the starting point?

I think it's going to be too cold to camp the entire time. You'll need a pretty thick sleeping bag and, even then, you'd have to have some serious tolerance to go for more than a couple of nights at a time.

10 days is perfectly acceptable for three adjacent states. Yellowstone should be on your list. RMNP is probably not going to work. Trail Ridge Road closed for the season on 10-17 last year, and that's fairly typical. Anything in Montana is probably going to be out as well, unless it's in the eastern part of the state (but why would you go out there?). You may want to think about adding Idaho. I realize no one ever yells "Idaho!" with excitement, but there's a lot to see in the state, particularly if you can get out to Boise. But I would probably try to concentrate on Utah and Colorado, and see their national parks.

Good luck though.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Go the "beaten path"; you won't be disappointed. Plus, you have only 10 days, that path is beaten for a reason.

Yellowstone is terrific - in season, and with at least 3 full days. By October, much has closed down, though the roads will be open.

I'm with colinaz, and would favor the S. Utah parks that time of year.

Opening/Closing Dates, YNP/NPS nps.gov/yell/…open_closedates.htm

Opening/Closing Dates, Xanterra Lodging and other services yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/opening-cl…

www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcircle.htm

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Hi agree with the others.

Yellowstone can be cold and snowy in October, the later the greater the risk, but SW Colorado and Utah would be perfect.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Check out your options, re: climate/weather, here:

www.weatherbase.com for historical averages

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

thanks you all for the inputs , so looks like i wont be going to see the great montana sky this time around ... i checked the weather averages and looks like montana and wyoming are out of the question . So that leaves me to utah and some parts of colorado & rocky mountains park is too cold for this time around too. i was planning not to drive from STL but to fly to a major city in either of the states and then drive , but if its only utah / colorado i will drive from STL.

Not sure if i want to go utah/colorado trip right now , i have to sleep on that. i know i dont want to digress , but yosemite sounds like a good park to visit in october.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Doing Montana, Wyoming, and Utah in ten days would be way too quick. 8 days alone would be the bare minimum I would recommend for seeing the Utah parks and if you throw in off the beaten path destinations it would add more. Yellowstone and the Tetons would need another 4-5 days plus a day driving from Wyoming to southern utah. I would recommend picking your spots and saving the rest for the another trip. Southernn Utah and Colorado will be much warmer on October for camping and you'll see some great fall colors. I could recommend a lot of great places and how to best see them if you decide to spend time in Utah.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Given the Yosemite fire, October climate (cold camping), and road closures, unsure YNP is a good bet for you this year.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

I would still plan on flying to Salt Lake or Las Vegas to rent a car for Southern Utah. otherwise it will eat 4 days driving, there and back. Google image and search places like San Rafael Swell, peek-a-boo and spooky gulch, calf creek falls, Willis creek slot canyon, burr trail switch backs and the strike valley overlook, valley of the gods, boulder mountain, and the la Sal mountains. All off the beaten path but close to big parks.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road TRIP wyoming / utah / montana

Great list from shake for relatively unknown places to visit and hike off the beaten path, and many of them easily combined with some of the wonderful national parks, too.

I would be surprised if the fires in Yosemite aren't out by October, but without a crystal ball, who knows!

October is a great time of year for southern Utah and California, but because of this, most of the national parks will be busy, so do bear that in mind.

SWT