We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American road trip

St Keverne, United...
1 post
Save Topic
American road trip

I am thinking about planning a road trip across America and would like other a opinions on it. We are a family of 6 ranging from 21 to 50. We would quite like to go from California then to Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana Mississippi, Tennessee , Georgia and end up in Florida. Not sure if I have that in the right order don't have a map with me right now! We're all very active and like adventure but as I am relatively clueless on this subject not sure how long this would take and we have about 3 weeks to do it in and I'm pretty sure we could possibly be biting off more than we can chew. We are mainly interest in California, Arizona, Nevada , Tennessee and Florida but unfortunate there are a few massive states in between so not sure what do do. So what I would really like to know is how much roughly will this trip cost, we're thing RV as there a quite a few of us and don't think all of us a luggage will fit in a car but sleep in motels. How does that sound? How long would you recommend for a trip like this and any other handy info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: American road trip

It’s true. You are biting off quite a bit. Were you to do it – which clearly can be done – after it’s all done and you’re back home, I fear you’ll believe you made a mistake having taken on so much.

Let’s look at it this way. Imagine you’re an American being relocated from San Francisco to Miami because of career. It isn’t sightseeing. It isn’t a vacation. You simply must drive the family car to a new home. The distance of the most direct drive would exceed 3,000 miles. Such a person, if sensible, if willing to drive long days, would allocate six days of driving [five nights along the way]. This traveler would have adequate time for breakfast before departing each hotel each morning, adequate time for no-nonsense lunch breaks and refueling, adequate time to arrive at a hotel safely a mite before dark each evening.

That would be it. No fun. Just safe. All work!

The required route would be the most direct, mostly along Interstate 10, not always the most popular, very hot in summer.

Many of us, if having to make such a move, would make it a ten day trip [nine nights] breaking things up a bit. For example, were it mine, I might spend a couple nights at the Grand Canyon, one enjoyable night at Albuquerque’s Old Town, plus three nights in New Orleans. Calling this a mini-vacation is cruel. It’s simply turning what could be an ordeal to a satisfying enough relocation.

At ten days, I’m only a bit short of half your three week time allocation. Don’t get me wrong. If I had to relocate from California to Florida; could I allocate three weeks, there are lots of ways to make it pretty cool.

Following your basic idea – a good one - I’d probably go to Yosemite, Las Vegas, Zion, Monument Valley, Santa Fe, Amarillo, maybe Oklahoma City, Memphis, New Orleans, somewhere along the Gulf in Florida, and then my Florida destination. Now, I’m an American having been to all these places – simply putting together a sweet three week trip across my own country returning to some of my favorite places.

Were I one of six people, seeing ourselves as active and adventurous, wanting to make the most of these wonderfully adventuresome places, I’d need five weeks. Give me five weeks, we got time for some adventure, some kick back, some giggles, some gee-whiz, and some memories to last 50 years.

By the way, skip the RV if you want to go this distance.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American road trip

I think 3 weeks is too short for this trip - you'll spend a lot of time in the car with little time to enjoy the places you are visiting.

I'd suggest either a leisurely 3 week road trip around California, Nevada, Arizona or you could cut this down to a shorter 2 week trip followed by a week in Florida after flying there but this could depend on when you are planning to take this trip.

I'd also avoid the RV as they are gas hungry - you would be better in a minivan or similar and overnight in motels.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,752 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American road trip

With three weeks you can do Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida but would be impossible to see everything in each state.

There is no way I see you doing everything on your list unless you decide to do an internal flight and determine what your priorities are for this trip.

When is your trip?

Summer in this part of the country is hot and humid.

What are your interests? history, culture, food, music??

Some suggestions-

Texas- San Antonio and Austin

Louisiana- New Orleans

Mississippi- Vicksburg

Tennessee- Memphis and Nashville

Georgia- Atlanta and Savannah

Florida- St. Augustine, Orlando

I too agree to skip the RV. Not very friendly for cities in this part of the country and usually gas guzzlers.

Good luck with your trip planning!!

Midlothian,t
Level Contributor
77 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American road trip

I think a rv is the way to go normally I am against them.in your case 6 people splitting the cost it would not be too bad. You could rent a car at some locations to go see leaving the rv parked

You could all take turns driving which would work but think you are pushing it

The wife and I have made several long trips and have regretted everyone of them our last one was a few days ago roughly 870 miles in one day it took a lot of driving time ,We left home at 430 in the morning so by the time daylight got here we were past areas we had seen a lot, by the time it was dark we were pretty much back to areas seen. yet it still took us 15 hours or so and that was with very little stopping and looking

Take a smaller trip and see more inside that trip

You will be amazed if you will get off the main highways and go to the out of the way places and small towns

what you may see.

Have you considered going in smaller groups such as three and three .

I will say this trip with this many people needs a lot of preplanning

If I were doing this trip . We would go to the furthest point as quick as possible driving/flying straight through.

From there I would take the time and see the areas that could be easily seen So Florida Georgia and ten

Georgia would at least be stone mountain and Ten would be jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg. The Presley estate is over priced in our opinion drive by early in the morning and take a pic form the road

If time permits then hit Louisiana and Texas

You could spend the complete three weeks in texas and still not cover what there is to see. esp the big bend area

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American road trip

Hi,

You may want to read this informative article about the pros and cons of taking an RV:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187230/Califo…

Zed

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American road trip

active and adventurous? I'd spend the 3 weeks in Utah and Arizona :)

Yes, it's too much for 3 weeks. SFCityGuy -- that post is spot on.

I think either more time OR split the trip into 2.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,752 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American road trip

Need to decide to do the west or south- you do not have the time to do both. Wings has given you a great suggestion. Here is a link to info about many of the parks in Utah, Arizona and SW Colorado-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American road trip

Everybody has really said the same thing, just in different words. With just 3 weeks and the desire to enjoy yourselves with an active trip, what you are suggesting is totally inappropriate.

Your choices are, take much, much longer to do the route, or, if you only have 3 weeks and being active is key, then chose a specific part of the USA to suit your style and time of year, and go for that. Florida's high humidity in mid summer and being active, for example, really don't fit well together.

I love SFCG's considered response. It spells the situation out to a T!

For ideas of what you can do, please may I suggest you do some research from a guide book to the whole of the USA plus a search of this forum, using the really efficient search function to add a destination name or two and the word active or adventure or hiking or whatever. Also, please read the Top Qs over the right of the full forum page for other tips and suggestions.

As to the RV comment, they're a great way of travelling for larger numbers, but beware of the accommodation and layout as you are all adults, some RVs say the sleep 6 but half the berths would suit small kids better than adults. Also, they're not appropriate for long, fast trips nor trips with lots of cities along the way.

SWT

9. Re: American road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:17