We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Collins to Cedar Pass Lodge: Route Options

UK
Level Contributor
309 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Collins to Cedar Pass Lodge: Route Options

We will be travelling from Fort Collins to the Cedar Pass Lodge, and the route given by Google Maps suggests going through Nebraska – we’d got pretty excited about this, only for crossing it off our list of states! Anyway, having re-visited the route I am concerned about the state of some of the roads. We’ll be in a rental car so want to stay away from unpaved roads, but having looked on Google Streetview I am worried that some of the roads suggested are barely even roads (actually, the Streetview car hasn’t been down some of them).

Can anyone give me the best, i.e. quickest, route from Fort Collins to the Cedar Pass Lodge, avoiding unpaved roads as far as possible? If it includes a diversion through Nebraska I will accept a minor detour!

The route options on Google are here:

http://tinyurl.com/p88gvt3

This is the MapQuest route to Interior:

http://mapq.st/16ekOYa

None of the roads in the MapQuest route are marked as unpaved in the directions, which I have seen them do before, so does that mean that this option is ok?

I know it’s a long way, and parts of the ‘shortest’ (distance) routes go through some very isolated areas, so I really want to make sure the roads are going to be ok before we get set on one route.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Collins to Cedar Pass Lodge: Route Options

There's just one road on there that's unpaved: Allen Road through the Pine Ridge Reservation. Since it's so rural, it's probably best to avoid it, and I'm surprised that Google is putting you on there. If you get on BIA 27 instead, you can follow that to BIA Route 2 which will connect you to SR 44 in probably less time considering the higher speed limits because all those roads are paved. It looks like Google doesn't consider BIA Route 2 to be more than a tertiary highway past a certain point, but it's at least paved. http://goo.gl/maps/hs7w5

Just a warning, because you may not know a lot about Pine Ridge being from the UK: it's considered to be the poorest area in the country. Kind of a sad state of affairs there. Not to say that it's dangerous or that you'll get carjacked, but you will not find any services out there. Even fuel is questionable and I would guess that there's little or no cell phone reception. If any of this concerns you, consider driving north to I-90 and taking the route through Rapid City.

The portion of Nebraska you'll be driving through is known as the "sand hills," and it's aptly named. You'll notice the lack of agricultural development, and will probably be able to see why near the washes as the sand exposes itself. It's an interesting landscape.

Good luck in your planning.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 17:08
UK
Level Contributor
309 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Collins to Cedar Pass Lodge: Route Options

Thanks for your help - your route is closer to what Bing and others give. I usually don't use google for driving directions but it seems a lot of route planners don't know where Cedar Pass Lodge is.

I will keep in mind what you say about the lack of services in Pine Ridge, we may choose the other route if the weather is bad or we get a later start than planned.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Collins to Cedar Pass Lodge: Route Options

If you enter the address (20681 SD Highway 240, Interior, SD), Mapquest finds it.

I assume you're coming in the summer. If it's raining, it probably would be best to stick to the I-90 route, just because my experience with the BIA roads is that they don't always do well in rain. You'll encounter large puddles that will make your car hydroplane. But you should be fine. You'll be going where probably almost no Brit has gone before.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Collins to Cedar Pass Lodge: Route Options

Also be aware of the fact that in eastern Wyoming you will find open range areas where cattle can roam freely. Do not drive in that area of the country at night.

UK
Level Contributor
309 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Collins to Cedar Pass Lodge: Route Options

We're actually doing the drive this Saturday - just printing off our final sets of directions. I'll take both, and we'll how we feel on the day. Roaming animals and aquaplaning would get our trip off to a bad start!

6. Re: Fort Collins to Cedar Pass Lodge: Route Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:20