We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Pitsburgh

Dubai, United Arab...
5 posts
Save Topic
Road trip from Pitsburgh

Hello all :)

I am attending a conference in the middle of September in Pittsburgh. I am flying from out of seas and i managed to get two weeks off of work. I thought of exploring the north east of USA since i haven't done so in the past.

I am travelling with my wife and was hoping to experience some big cities as well as scenic small towns either to stay in or drive through. I want expert opinion to direct me to those "special places along the way". I will have 14 days after my conference. I want for sure to go to Boston and NYC for 3 days each. So i have 8 days to explore.

I hope someone can help. We will be driving BTW and budget in on the average side since most places will offer something for everyone..

Thanks a lot

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

I vote for a drive thru Amish country near Lancaster, PA and a tour of the museums and Civil War battlefield in Gettysburg, PA. Those are two of my favorite things to do in PA.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

Since you don't need a car in New York, Philadelphia or Boston, you should look into taking the train from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia. You have to go through Philadelphia to reach New York anyway, and it's a great city to visit. Once you get up to Boston, you could rent a car for the remaining few days to explore some of New England. Maine is a popular destination and, in mid-September, it will be starting to close up, so you'll miss the throngs of tourists that they get in the summer, but not the disappointments of everything being closed that you find in the winter. Vermont is also great though, especially if you're looking for that idyllic American small town. No shortage of that pretty much anywhere in New England. After the road trip, you could fly back to Pittsburgh from Boston. JetBlue has a hub at Boston and has a cheap one-way to Pittsburgh.

Just an idea. Good luck in your planning.

Dubai, United Arab...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

thank you both so much for your input. I all add it to my plans.

I forgot to mention that i am flying out off new york.

It looks like it will be a good experience.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

Ohio Amish Country is superior IMO to Lancaster County, PA -- more rural, much more pervasively Amish in eastern Holmes County, largest Amish community in world, rolling Allegheny foothills. It would be two hours drive west of Pittsburgh through some beautiful country in September. Check out the discussion here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Leaf turn begins by late September and northeast Ohio is a great place to experience it. Check out the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and Holden Arboretum in Kirtland in the above travel article.

If you would like to experience the roller coaster capital of the world, check out HalloWeekends at Cedar Point (see discussion above) about four hours northwest of Pittsburgh.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is in Cleveland. Cleveland isn't suffering the travails of Detroit, but, like Detroit, it has seen its population implode by over half from its peak in the 20th century, when it once was the 5th largest city in the U.S.

Cleveland also is one of the cultural centers of the U.S., with one of the best art museums (free admission), a leading theater district (must cheaper than NYC), a robust restaurant scene, the West Side Market, and the Cleveland Orchestra, one of the best in the world performing in Severance Hall, arguably the most beautiful concert hall in the U.S.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

Niagara Falls is four hours northwest of Cleveland. From NF, you could head to Boston, perhaps first stopping in either Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, or Lewiston, NY, to take the Whirlpool Jet Boat tour up the Niagara River, one of the fastest and most powerful in the world.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

Boston is a 7-hour drive from NF, without any stops.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

There is also a small Amish community north of Pittsburgh near Volant. It has some beautiful countryside and several nice local restaurants.

Dubai, United Arab...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

Thank you all, great replies.

Do you guys suggest small towns in Vermont and New England?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

We love the White mountains of NH. Visit Jackson for covered bridges, drive the Kancamagus hwy and go up to Mt. Washington, and see Franconia Notch. Nice towns are Jackson and North Conway.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

Hi,

Just outside of Pittsburgh (about 1.5 hours away) is the famous American architect, Frank Lloyd Wright's iconic home, "Fallingwater."

http://www.fallingwater.org/

If you do go, book your tour times in advance online, especially if you plan on being there on a weekend.

Zed

10. Re: Road trip from Pitsburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:17