We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
109 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

Hi,

Google gives me 3 options. I do not want to drive on winding roads so want to minimize that. What would you suggest.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d10824244!2d-117.7338279!3d39.4752998!4m23!3m22!1m5!1sPhoenix%2C+AZ!2s0x872b12ed50a179cb%3A0x8c69c7f8354a1bac!3m2!3d33.4483771!4d-112.0740373!1m5!1sPortland%2C+OR!2s0x54950b0b7da97427%3A0x1c36b9e6f6d18591!3m2!3d45.5234515!4d-122.6762071!3m8!1m3!1d5412122!2d-117.7338279!3d39.4752998!3m2!1i1366!2i659!4f13.1!4i1&fid=0

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

When I plug Phoenix to Portland into Google maps, I only see one route, namely:

1. I-10 to LA.

2. I-210 to skirt LA.

3. I-5 to Portland.

Since this is all interstate, you're going to have minimal winding roads. If anything much of the I-5 portion of this is the antithesis of winding roads. Once you get over the mountains north of LA and into the Central Valley you make one little curve and then basically don't do any curves at all until you get up around Tracy/Manteca. (As I remember it there is one "sort of" slight curve about 1/2 way.)

I'm sure things are a *little* bit "curvier" once you get up around Redding and into Oregon, but it's still interstate highways. You're not talking 2 lane curvy mountain roads.

I will mention that even when I cut & pasted the URL you provided I still only got the one route I described above. Do you have some options set on your directions from Google maps? (Like avoiding highways?)

That's my $.02,

hlo

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

You can miss the entire LA mess by going around it using one of a couple of routes once you get to the San Bernardino/Ontario area.

I-5 has countless trucks. An alternative is 99 which is freeway.

AmolAZ, if you use the website below - perfectly safe - you can shorten that long, long unreadable link to a very short hyperlink for us that is much easier to access:

http://tinyurl.com/

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,542 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

The way I have driven it, towing heavy car trailers, is ... I-17 North to Lake Pleasant rd,(74) West, to the 93 North, into Las Vegas.. The 95 to Fallon, 60 into Reno... North again, on the 395 to Alturas & 139 into K. Falls... Continue on the 97(watch that speed) to the 58, just past Chemult,into Eugene and the I-5 to Portland... You just might see something other than white lines enroute ... carracar

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

The easiest way to shorten a Google Map is to click the chain link icon on the left and then tick the box for "Short URL." Your Google Map is http://goo.gl/maps/hJUe4

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

I like Carracar's route. We just drove the same way as far as Fallon.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

Yes Carracar's route is really nice. We do it every March pulling a travel trailer to Death Valley and back from Portland. Except up here we don't put "the" before the highway number!

Edited: 18 September 2013, 18:54
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,085 posts
5,162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

Another vote for the scenic drive Carracar has mentioned

It also is a route that is scenic and less traffic than trying to battle the freeways of LA...and falling asleep oni the boring I-5 route.

8. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 October 2013, 20:47
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,542 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

Las Vegas, Reno, K Falls ... If open, Crater lake ... Happy trails ... carracar

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,799 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easiest drive from Phoenix to Portland?

The way I usually go from Arizona is to get up to I-40 somehow then take I-5 or CA 99 up. This is if you're just looking to drive and don't care about scenery, as most of it is anything but scenic. I prefer CA 99 because it goes through more cities and has fewer trucks, and I-5 requires you follow a surface highway from near Bakersfield. Getting to I-40, my preference was US 95 (California side) from I-10. Taking US 93 to I-40 puts you before what I call the "Topock Drop," where it avoids the Black Mountains west of Kingman by dropping far to the south to cross at the Topock Marsh. To reach US 95, you can also take AZ 95 north from Quartzsite to AZ 62, but it's slow-going through Parker.

US 95 between Vegas and Reno is extremely boring. The towns are few and far between and, when you get to them, there are limited services. But the Great Basin can be beautiful, and the relatively low population along the route can make it a pleasant drive. It's a lot of time on a 2-lane road though.

But you absolutely do not want to drive through any part of the Los Angeles area.