We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RT - Vancouver, Ca to LA in 3 weeks.

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
RT - Vancouver, Ca to LA in 3 weeks.

My boyfriend and I are doing a road trip from Vancouver to LA before flying home to Australia in Feb.

What are some fun things for us to do? Disneyland is a must! We will be hiring a wicked camper van or something similar, so don't need motels/hotels.

We are giving ourselves 3 weeks, so lets hear some ideas and places to stop!!

Cheers, Kitty

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
63,531 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RT - Vancouver, Ca to LA in 3 weeks.

Are you traveling to Seattle first or have you found a campervan rental that is available one way between countries?

>>fun things for us to do? <<

Things that are fun for me might not be fun for you. What do you like? What is your travel style? I love to walk & hike, but some folks prefer to spend their hours on nightlife or on early morning photography.

Fun things to do, great places to go, food for thought ...

Seattle, but you've probably already visited since it's so close to Vancouver BC

Mt. Rainier NP ~ hike, walk, wander

Olympic NP ~ hike, walk, wander, lots of driving to see this large NP

Portland ~ great bookstore, beer, "fun" downtown

Oregon Coast ~ walk, bike, aquarium, scenery, fly kites, kayak/water sports

Northern CA ~ redwoods, coastal beauty

SF ~ fabulous city, nature, easy access to unique neighborhoods

Yosemite NP ~ walk, hike, photograph, gaze, enjoy

Monterey ~ Aquarium, bike, Pt Lobos State Park

Hwy 1 coast ~ tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182762

L.A. ~ read their Top Questions

Anaheim ~ Disneyland, California Adventure, beaches

---------

Definitely read the "Should I rent an RV to save money on a road trip?" Top Question on the right side of the page. Also read the link at the bottom of that article about Where To Stay In Your RV. You'll need campsites even with a campervan. In cities, you may want to park the van and use a motel.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RT - Vancouver, Ca to LA in 3 weeks.

Well, good thing is you'll find plenty of places for camping esp along the coast but febr can be cold and rainy along the coast and snow at places like Olympic, Mt Rainier, Crater Lake etc. Not to mention the hassle of renting a CV in Canada and deliver it in the USA as PNWF has said. Are you familiar with driving in winterconditions? You'll need chains in places like Yosemite that time of year but prob you are not allowed to use then by the rentalcompany. Catch 22

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RT - Vancouver, Ca to LA in 3 weeks.

February in the northwest = cold rain and possibly snow.

There will be snow in the mountains.

You should have nice warm weather in southern California, though :-)

Most campgrounds stay open all year, unless they are in the snow regions.

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RT - Vancouver, Ca to LA in 3 weeks.

Hi. I recently found your post and am curious to hear where you decided to visit? Also who did you end up hiring a camper through? My partner and I are doing a similar trip in August also heading back to Australia :)

5. Re: RT - Vancouver, Ca to LA in 3 weeks.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:15