We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

& several scenic, challenging routes in New England.

…yahoo.com/photos/america-s-most-thrilling-r…

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Hi TE

I know there's one interstate south of Austin that has 85 mph. I10 (Kerrville-El Paso) is 80mph and others sometimes only 70 mph.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Texas State Highway 130. Right after it opened, it was free for a couple of months and I drove it then to get from Round Rock to AUS. They probably do get some people getting on there just for the experience though.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Tet, 85 mph probably is nothing for you with the Autobahn available to exercise your desire for speed. :-)

When I was a kid, speed limits on interstates were much higher and traffic sometimes moved at 85 mph, if I remember correctly.

4. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 22:05
Edited: 25 September 2013, 22:05
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Half-Brit, there is a well-documented correlation between higher speeds and greater numbers of deaths and serious accidents. Admittedly, insurance companies are interested in keeping their loss ratios down by advocating for lower speeds, but this also keeps insurance rates lower, reduces health care expenses and eliminates a significant amount of social trauma. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has done great work in making roads and cars more safe. IMO, it's a great example of the beneficial aspects of capitalism, although I doubt it is a favorite of the auto companies. It's also a wonderful resource for those purchasing new vehicles.

iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/speed/topicoverview

http://www.iihs.org/

<<"greenie" eco-extremists>>???

I'm not certain "greens" are eco-extremists except in the minds of those who don't believe in or care about global climate change.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Sorry TE, our racing days are long over. We live just 20 miles from the nearest German autobahn but seldomly drive faster than 140 kmh. Now in the USA we already travelled 2500 miles this year and havenot seen one single interstate after Seattle's I5 from the a/p Average speed till now is 45 mph ;-)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Tet, 45 mph is pretty impressive. Even with some freeway driving, I never get over 30 mph avg. speed over any 400-500 miles. It's amazing how stop lights, urban traffic, just looking for a place to stop, etc. will pull down the average. Admittedly, most of the time, if I'm not in traffic, I like to coast into stops.

8. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 16:35
9. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 21:05
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrills: Tail of the dragon and 85 mph legally in Texas?

Way, way OT. Political agenda.